Mazzer Major E Thread Lubricant

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Col_Potter

#1: Post by Col_Potter »

Just picked up a "year" old Mazzer Major E off Craigslist. Fairly good shape, just some cosmetic nicks in the paint and needing a bit of cleanup. Just took the burr carrier out to check out the burrs and noticed the lube on the threads is pretty crusty. Anyone know what type of lubricant is used on these? :?:
The Colonel

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

I have been using "Ultra-Lube" brand, White Lithium Grease (#10307). It's plant-based, non-toxic, and biodegradable. Its smoothness and consistency reminds me of Campagnolo grease. I get it at Lowe's. The trick is to get ALL the old lube out of both the male and female threads (more time consuming than it sounds). A good grease-cutting cleaner solvent and a microfiber rag works. Then work the smallest amount of grease you can into the threads of both, remove the springs, and screw the carrier in and remove it, wipe off excess and repeat, adding a bit of grease if necessary.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by pizzaman383 »

What's the benefit of the thread lubricant?
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder replying to pizzaman383 »

Lubricated threads. :mrgreen:

The thread pitch is very, very fine. A drop of lube will help keep them from binding up but too much will attract coffee dust and turn into grout. It only takes a Q-tip sized drop to lube them. Just put a drop on the frame towards the top and screw the upper carrier on. It will spread out as you screw the carrier in.
Dave Stephens

Col_Potter (original poster)

#5: Post by Col_Potter (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:I have been using "Ultra-Lube" brand, White Lithium Grease (#10307). It's plant-based, non-toxic, and biodegradable. Its smoothness and consistency reminds me of Campagnolo grease. I get it at Lowe's. The trick is to get ALL the old lube out of both the male and female threads (more time consuming than it sounds). A good grease-cutting cleaner solvent and a microfiber rag works. Then work the smallest amount of grease you can into the threads of both, remove the springs, and screw the carrier in and remove it, wipe off excess and repeat, adding a bit of grease if necessary.
Thanks Randy, forgot to say so awhile back.
The Colonel