Mazzer Major DR conversion to doserless

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
gsisr

#1: Post by gsisr »

Hello i own a mazzer major dr, its exactly the same as in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBW7xELY31w. i want to fit the aluminum funnel of mazzer major electronic.
i will need the items 46,49,50 from the picture below. the question is will the new major's electronic funnel can be attached to my old major without drilling. I know mazzer made some changes over the years so i dont want to waste money.
thank's a lot and sorry for my english

Whale

#2: Post by Whale »

I have retrofitted the funnel on an oolder Mazzer Major. It fit directly in the drilled holes for the doser (and presumably the grocery snout) the main casing is made to accommodate all the attachments.
I also installed the same funnel on a newer Robur and it fits just the same. Whatever changes were made by Mazzer it did not affect the interchangeability of the delivery accessories.

I see that you want to get the funnel, the gasket and the grid. The gasket is useful to minimise the grounds that will go in the motor compartment. I personally do not use the grid. I go and scoop and brush out everything that is left in the throats after each shot. The grid would prevent that.
On top of your list, you should consider getting the lid from a doser to close the funnel between use. A regular Major doser lid will fit and is not expensive

I highly recommend the change , even if the price of these parts is ridiculously high. To me this is the best/only way to use a Mazzer.
Can you tell that I hate dosers? :mrgreen:
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

gsisr (original poster)

#3: Post by gsisr (original poster) »

My friend this was the answer i wanted to hear! the conversion will include the doser lid and a portafilter support fork from major electronic. the antistatic grid is a problem. a mod like this video could probably replace it..thank's again!

ecuew

#4: Post by ecuew »

gsisr wrote: (snip) ...a mod like this
I use a similar flap in my Major to avoid having the ground coffee fly all over the inside of the doser and stick to the walls. I cut up a plastic card (similar to a credit card, or gift card) and used a bit of tape to affix.

I works quite well. When I had a Mini-E, I even replaced the "stock" grid with the flap to make it easier to clean the chute.

BTD1986

#5: Post by BTD1986 »

I'm not sure for a Major, but for installing a funnel on a Robur, you will also need #17 in the diagram, the backing plate that fills the rest of the opening that the doser usually would fill. I believe that part requires a drill to make the holes for the screws as described here...http://www.espressoparts.com/parts/coff ... king-plate

gsisr (original poster)

#6: Post by gsisr (original poster) »

my grinder has already this backing plate.. :D

gsisr (original poster)

#7: Post by gsisr (original poster) »

update: the funnel fitted perfectly on the grinder! any idea if mazzer mini portafilder holder http://www.espressoparts.com/parts/coff ... pport-fork fits to major instead of this http://www.espressoparts.com/parts/coff ... pport-fork? i think the mini's version is more practical because you can leave the portafilter on it without holding it..

cebseb

#8: Post by cebseb »

Yes, it does fit and there are actually accounts online of users doing exactly that! Being able to leave the portafilter underneath the funnel without having to hold it in place is a must!

gsisr (original poster)

#9: Post by gsisr (original poster) »

thank's a lot my friend :D

Whale

#10: Post by Whale »

I am happy to read that the Mini P/F holder would work!
I did consider it but ended not going for it because I use a bottomless P/F most of the time and the P/F would hold it owns.
Just throwing it out there for consideration.
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.