Mazzer Major doser, disassembly help wanted...

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Marcelnl

#1: Post by Marcelnl »

Yesterday I tried to mod the Major doser, adding the Schecktermatic schnozzola and doing the wiper vane mod but the latter is a bit of a problem because I'm unable to remove the lower dosing vane. On the Super Jolly it was no problem but I also do not recall how it was built, on the Major doser the bottom star vane seems to be held by the central long bolt mounted from below. The adjustment knob that sets the delivered dose by setting the height of the upper dosing vane is made of black plastic, where in my SJ it was aluminium.

I removed what seems a locking pin that sits next to the central bolt on the bottom underneath the thwacking system but fear that I'll break off one of the vanes if I apply more force on the bolt(penetrating oil applied etc) An explosion diagram did not help either...is there anyone who can point me to some pictures ?
Mine seems a late -80ies being black with a gold pinstripe and seemingly lacking the hopper protection electronic but the age is a guess on my part...

It's about item 527519 on below linked explosion diagram https://www.google.nl/search?q=mazzer+m ... 1FM5Q5M%3A
LMWDP #483

Advertisement
HeadshotCoffee

#2: Post by HeadshotCoffee »

Any pictures of your doser? I might be able to lend a hand...

Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Marcelnl (original poster)

#4: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Thanks bluecold, think I got to the stage where one of the lower sweeper vanes would have snapped, is he holding one of the vames with a long pair of pliers?
LMWDP #483

hankua
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by hankua »

Just get a big screwdriver and wedge it between the star gear and aluminum housing. The idea being to stop it from moving, easier to do than explain. When it goes back together, there's kind of a sweet spot for the bolt tension.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

It is easy to break off one of the bottom vanes & there is no need to remove that assembly. Add your sweeper material (tape, velcro, ect) to the sweeper assy. that sits over the bottom vanes. This is adjustable up & down using the spring loaded knob up top & allows you more options.
LMWDP 267

LukeFlynn

#7: Post by LukeFlynn replying to JohnB. »

+1 this is what I did.

Advertisement

#8: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Sounds like s plan, will get to it immediately as I also need to install the schnozzola, get sick of the spilling due to the thwacker and there is way to much retention in the doser...
It performs great though, the adjustments are different then with the SJ so have to grow accustomed to them a bit.
LMWDP #483

chimpy

#9: Post by chimpy »

Agree with JohnB. You do not need to remove the whole bottom part in order to add the vanes (I did this mod only a couple of months ago).

Perhaps this picture will add more context:

(Taken from Improving Mazzer doser efficiency )

#10: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Thanks, it's already done!
LMWDP #483