Mazzer Kold Grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
damonbowe

#1: Post by damonbowe »

Well, it's finally happened. Someone combined a grinder with an ice cream maker, and it was Mazzer! All jokes aside, this thing looks badass and might be interesting to a few high end, high throughput shops.

http://sprudge.com/ogling-new-mazzer-cold-grinder.html

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Posted already, but if someone uses one, it should be in it's own thread so the info can easily be found.

New water cooled Espresso Grinder Designed in BC
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

redpig

#3: Post by redpig »

Interesting! It seems like a lot of the design decisions from the DRM (belt, side control, +Schomer's fan hack). Not quite the new NS grinder, but cool. Thanks!
LMWDP #411

damonbowe (original poster)

#4: Post by damonbowe (original poster) »

TomC wrote:Posted already, but if someone uses one, it should be in it's own thread so the info can easily be found.

New water cooled Espresso Grinder Designed in BC
Drat, there were zero key words used so I missed it.

doubleOsoul

#5: Post by doubleOsoul »

Well, what can I say. I got all emotional when I posted on account of the exciting discovery - key words got by me. I'm hoping I can check out the grinder over the weekend and report back here.

#6: Post by damonbowe (original poster) »

Ha ha, I should have searched more I guess. Anyway, I can make a case that Mazzer has earned independent thread status!

I'd like someone to actually start pointing one of those infrared thermometers into the burrs during grinding before I believe all this stuff about 70/30% kinetic energy of beans and whatnot. I mean, it sounds good but I need evidence. Maybe I missed that in my searching around, too...

Chabeau
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Chabeau »

Since they offset the motor and burrs anyways it seems like it would have been a good opportunity to modify the chute to something shorter and/or vertical to aid with retention. Maybe they have, but the grinder in this article looks similar to their existing design in this regard. Then again they may not feel it's a big issue.
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

#8: Post by damonbowe (original poster) »

I agree with you. As you say, this looks like trying to reuse existing parts except for the hopper.

I like the design because it maintains the distinctive Mazzer look. But the grind path could be improved. The amount of beans that a shop has to waste in a recalibration is not insignificant for this size grinder, so the grind path is also relevant to commercial applications.

Spitz.me

#9: Post by Spitz.me »

Until commercial customers start caring about coffee retention in grind chutes, it's not happening folks.

I don't think this grinder has a distinct Mazzer look at all, it looks very different to the other offerings and very fugly IMO.
LMWDP #670

Intrepid510

#10: Post by Intrepid510 »

Spitz.me wrote:I don't think this grinder has a distinct Mazzer look at all, it looks very different to the other offerings and very fugly IMO.
+1

Give me that Canadian grinder any day of the week at least in terms of looks.