Manual grinder bug - Pharos or HG One? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by mgwolf »

As I'm sure you're aware, the ergonomics on the Pharos have caused a number of people to sell them, but if you can cope with them, people like them a lot. They're certainly a bargain. The HG One is beautiful to look at and use and is quite easy to use in daily practice. It is very well made and will last a lifetime. I've never used a Pharos but own an HG One.

pumpkinscastle (original poster)

#12: Post by pumpkinscastle (original poster) »

I have decided to go for the HG One. I don't want to fiddle with the Pharos even though it seems to be capable of outstanding grinds. It doesn't really help that it's hard to get an email response from Orphan Espresso. I am really looking forward to their Lido 2 for brew grinds.

The solid construction and the ease of use that the HG One offers are important to me. I like the flywheel design and the general setup. I don't mind seasoning new burrs with some older beans. After all, it's good exercise, right?

I joined the wait list, and I am also waiting on a possible used sale. I have been in touch with Craig from HG One, and he seemed to indicate that there will be a large enough supply before long to satisfy my interest and that of others.

I hope my wife will forgive me for the purchase of two expensive hand grinders.

In the meantime, feel free to add further impressions.

taildraggin

#13: Post by taildraggin »

You made the right call.

The comparison is between the SJ and the HG One, though. If you have a large kitchen and a place to permanently leave it, the HG One is the only logical 'manual' choice.

Pharos & HG One are 2 different tools; one is portable, the other fixed. One is a drill press, the other a cordless portable drill, if you like. I prefer to use a drill press every time I can, but it doesn't work out for use in the attic or on a boat.

Cost is a separate issue. If you're grinding every day, perhaps several times a day, for the rest of your life it's easy to justify the expense. If affordability is the constraint, a hand grinder is the poor man's option, just as it always has been. (And, God Bless the Pharos.)

Barb and Doug are a mom & pop shop but go all out to produce a great product with great service. Many of us experience coffee like we never have because of them and they have my greatest respect and customer loyalty.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by FotonDrv »

You will not regret the HG-One.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

#15: Post by pumpkinscastle (original poster) »

Seems like people who have an HG One truly love it. What also convinced me is the simple yet detailed presentation of their product by the makers themselves. I really like their website as it is very informative.

My kitchen isn't that big but my Super Jolly must remain, too. This is non-negotiable. Together, the SJ, the Lido 2 and the HG1 should give me all the grinds I could ever want. I am not too concerned about looks but it surely doesn't hurt that the HG One looks stunning.

Yes, the price is painful. But as someone pointed out: As a long-time investment in the quality of my life, I have a feeling it will pay back. I absolutely love solid and durable engineering.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by mgwolf »

Wolfgang, Just curious, what will you be using the SJ for?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#17: Post by mivanitsky »

Beware upgraditis!

You already have an espresso machine that, if your skills and coffee are sufficiently good, will reveal the differences between the middling Super Jolly and the big conicals.

The trouble is that a grinder as good as the HG One can actually highlight the difference between your espresso machine and the tiers above!

I expect the Super Jolly will be relegated to party duty in the future.

You will love the HG One.

- Mike

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by FotonDrv »

So what kind of espresso machine are you using?

I can understand multiple grinders, caf & decaf or multiple bean types/blends. Presently I use 3 grinders; decaf for the wife, home roasted beans and the last one for pro-roasted beans.

#19: Post by pumpkinscastle (original poster) »

My machine is a Vetrano HX. In terms of prosumer machines I don't think it gets much better. And I am not ready yet to jump to a truly professional machine (nor do I have the money).
I think the convenience of an electric grinder is unbeatable, especially when preparing drinks for guests. In all honesty, I don't think that the SJ is middling at all. Or to put it differently: I don't want to set myself up with the expectation that the HG One is just "better." Perhaps it is. What I am looking for is "different." I have had beautiful drinks in top-notch coffee shops that have been made with flat and conical burr grinders from what I could tell (mostly Mazzers of various sizes). I can't really claim that I would have been disappointed by one and wowed by the other.
So, in sum for me: Coffee is about exploring different flavors. I hope that the HG One will reveal a certain depth of coffee that is new to me. Just like I enjoy going back and forth between espresso and Chemex, I see myself going back and forth between different grinders as well.
I have read on the Titan Grinder thread that many people believe that the conicals stress the higher notes whereas the flat burrs add a certain denser body and a broader mid range to espresso. I can't say if that's true or not. But this premise will be the starting point for my own exploration. Selling the SJ would take a choice from me. That's why I won't do it.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by FotonDrv »

Yeah, the SJ will be just another flavor nuance and it will give you the opportunity to have different beans on the counter without changing the HG-1 to accommodate the different bean.

If I find a bean is a bit to bright in flavor and I want a toned down flavor, which seems to bring out the chocolates and caramels, I use the Versalab. It has flat burrs that finish the grind with a big conical to do the initial breaking of the beans, but in the end it is a flat burr. I know there will be a lot of folks who might disagree with the description but in the end the big flat burrs that spit out the grounds are what the beans see last.

So, keeping your SJ should be an advantage to you :D

BTW, I too use Chemex for a pour over.