Mahlkonig K30 Vario hopper seal?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DLieu8989

#1: Post by DLieu8989 »

Just recently purchased a brand new K30 Vario from SCG with the short hopper. So the lid does not really seal since there is no form of gasket on the lid. Is it just my grinder or is this how it's supposed to be. Is this something that I am just nitpicking on? I do understand that this is a commercial grinder and beans are usually not left in the hopper too long. I can just keep filling beans enough for a day or 2 which is not a problem. I was just curious if someone came up with a brilliant idea or alternative.

Loving the new grinder by the way. Jumped straight from a Breville Smart Grinder to a K30 Vario, buy once cry once.

Thanks in advance!

yatesd

#2: Post by yatesd »

I just got my K30 last week or so. No seal, per se, but I also don't think it has significant air gaps.

IMHO going with the short hopper and only adding a pound at a time addresses most concerns about freshness. Maybe I am not concerned enough? For now I am just enjoying the better espresso.

DLieu8989 (original poster)

#3: Post by DLieu8989 (original poster) »

No it's not really bothering me. It's just something I noticed. I don't think I will put a pound of beans in there, more like enough for 3-4 doubles at a time. I suppose even if the lid is sealed completely, there's the chute. I'm realizing that I am just overthinking it. As with any new toy, there's always something.

I am noticing a huge difference from the Smart Grinder. Grinds coming out of the K30 is ridiculously fluffy. I am not noticing any clumping as reported by other users. Perhaps it's the beans I am using (Klatch House Espresso). I just know that at 18 grams, the Smart Grinder grinds rest below the top of the basket and the K30 grinds is a big mound. It's so darn fast, I can't keep up with it. This thing is a beast! Then again, clearly not apples vs apples so...moot point.

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

Grinder hopper lids do not come with sealing gaskets for the simple reason that the path from the bottom to the exit chute is never airtight.
Marshall
Los Angeles

JavaRanger

#5: Post by JavaRanger »

DLieu8989 wrote:Loving the new grinder by the way. Jumped straight from a Breville Smart Grinder to a K30 Vario, buy once cry once.
I got a Forte about 3 weeks ago... I like it a lot, but regret not getting the forte... I was hard for me to cough up the cash and thr Mrs. To get me the space!

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

[youtube][/youtube]
Marshall wrote:Grinder hopper lids do not come with sealing gaskets for the simple reason that the path from the bottom to the exit chute is never airtight.
99.44% true, but David's (the OP's) previous grinder was a Breville Smart and they're the 0.56% exception. Their hopper lids are flexible, very tight fitting, and do seal airtight. When the bottoms are closed Smart hoppers make excellent storage jars. David doesn't have enough experience to realize the Smart's hopper is unique (or nearly so), and hence the confusion.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator