Mahlkonig K30 Vario Dosing for Dummies - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BTD1986

#21: Post by BTD1986 »

How much fluctuation are you getting? Have you tried single origins vs blends?

rnshaw (original poster)

#22: Post by rnshaw (original poster) »

13 grams to 15.5 grams. I have tried blends and single origin. However, I have only had the machine three weeks, and I have been through three different coffees. I am going back to a blend I used for many years as a point of reference. I am going to use this coffee exclusively for a while and measure everything! I'll get it figured out. Just hoping I don't have to revert to single dosing. May be as easy as keeping more beans in the hopper.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by uscfroadie »

rnshaw wrote:I am still have difficulty with dose fluctuations. There is a direct correlation between hopper mass and dose. I may have to revert to single dosing in barista mode.
Rodney,

How much is your weight fluctuating in your hopper? I don't think it's beans at all. I've run a few SOs and blends and get the same results. Just to double check I weighed my 5 shots today. Hopper started off with about 200 grams, and the shot weights are below.

1. 19.2 grams Morning
2. 19.4 grams Morning
3. 19.5 grams Lunch
4. 19.3 grams Evening
5. 19.4 grams Evening

Tomorrow morning I'll top off the hopper with another 100 grams and measure again, but I expect the results will be similar.

***********EDIT************
Instead of topping off the hopper with my usual 100 grams of beans I decided to just run it as is and go down to zero to see when I start seeing the dose sway outside of the norm. Weight of shots this morning, starting off with about 100 grams in the hopper.

1. 19.3 grams Morning
2. 19.2 grams Morning
3. 19.3 grams Lunch
4. 19.1 grams Lunch
5. 18.0 grams (out of beans)
Merle

boar_d_laze

#24: Post by boar_d_laze »

uscfroadie wrote:I don't think it's beans at all.
+1
I've run a few SOs and blends and get the same results.
Merle is right. That blends would dose more or less consistently than SOs is unlikely.

Rod -- You started the thread by saying you haven't broken in your burrs yet. Start there. It doesn't make sense to get into sophisticated trouble shooting until that's done.

If, after break in, your dosing is still inconsistent, you can take the burrs out and reassemble.

And, if your grinder is still problematic, we'll look at some other less likely possibilities.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

jdrock

#25: Post by jdrock »

I am single dosing all the time with the K30 for my GS3. Just weigh the beans and drop all into the machine and grind until empty.
I usually have 0.3g difference which I assume included some old beans.
K30 is perfectly good at single dosing for home.

Uldall

#26: Post by Uldall »

jdrock wrote:I am single dosing all the time with the K30 for my GS3. Just weigh the beans and drop all into the machine and grind until empty.
I usually have 0.3g difference which I assume included some old beans.
K30 is perfectly good at single dosing for home.
+1

/Uldall
Bassethound.
Coffee Driven.

Mark08859

#27: Post by Mark08859 »

+1 to rnshaw. My Vario rarely doses the same amount 2x in a row. Sometimes it can differ by as much as 4 grams. Unless you single dose, you need a scale.

rnshaw (original poster)

#28: Post by rnshaw (original poster) »

Thanks everyone. I will single does if necessary but hoping to move away from it. I am reverting to a blend I used for several years and will stick with it until I figure it out. I will measure everything and keep good records. Be back in a few.

mgthompson

#29: Post by mgthompson »

Mark08859 wrote:+1 to rnshaw. My Vario rarely doses the same amount 2x in a row. Sometimes it can differ by as much as 4 grams. Unless you single does, you need a scale.

4 gram difference?!? Holy moly.

Mark08859

#30: Post by Mark08859 »

Indeed. The Vario (Ditting is a rebranded Mahlkonig) is very sensitive to the amount of beans in the hopper. Without my trusty scale, I'd be doomed. 8)