Mahlkonig K30 Vario dose counter

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Velomane

#1: Post by Velomane »

Hi everyone,

I just took delivery of a K30. The seller, a Canadian retailer, offered me a reduced price for a new unit that has a dent in it. Thing is, the single shot counter is showing 5635 and the double is up to 23976. Also, the shot timers are not at the factory settings. Before I contact the seller, I thought I might solicit some feedback from the fine folks here. This isn't normal for a new unit is it? I could swear there was another thread here with such a story but I couldn't find it.

Thoughts?

BTD1986

#2: Post by BTD1986 »

When I bought my new K30, I think it had 2 or 3 shots on the shot counter. I think that was from the factory testing.

Velomane (original poster)

#3: Post by Velomane (original poster) »

That's about what I was expecting. Thing is, the grinder is pristine. Absolutely clean. I'll have a closer look tomorrow. I'm hoping for some explanation other than the obvious. I have no reason to believe that the seller has mislead me.

keno

#4: Post by keno »

Frustrating when this kind of stuff happens. I just bought a Compak E10 from a seller on eBay/PayPal. He said the grinder was "new" and had only been used as a demo at a trade show. He advertised it as the E10 Master version and I even verified by email that it was the Master version that sells for $500 more list price or $300 more street price. But when it arrived today it was just the regular E10 version. I also asked if it had any cosmetic damage and he said no, but it has a big gouge on the back down to the bare aluminum.

I wouldn't have paid what I paid when I could have purchased a new E10 for not much more. So now I've had to file a dispute. I figure he can either have it back or cut the price.

#5: Post by Velomane (original poster) »

Just did some math. The numbers add up to almost a thousand pounds of coffee. I'm thinking if this unit had that much use, it would be fairly obvious. Hmmm, what's going on?

keno

#6: Post by keno »

Velomane wrote:Thing is, the single shot counter is showing 5635 and the double is up to 23976.

Thoughts?
By my calculations (assuming 7g single and 14g double) that works out to 375kg of coffee. Not sure what the usable lifespan of the K30 burrs is but that's a pretty substantial amount of coffee!

Unless it was just in the dealer's showroom without any coffee and people just hit the button and the motor turned but there was no grinding - which would explain the pristine condition?

#7: Post by Velomane (original poster) »

Yeah, Keno, sucks when people can't be straight up.

#8: Post by Velomane (original poster) »

Folks,

At this point, I'd rather look for an explanation that does not imply the unit was used or even a showroom piece. I've had used grinders in the past. Most notably a Mazzer Major. There was no doubt this thing had been around being knocked about. Something I cannot say about the K30 sitting on my counter. I haven't opened it up yet to inspect the burrs. I'll see what the seller has to say.

#9: Post by Velomane (original poster) »

Issue resolved: the main board had to be swapped out as the original wasn't working out of the box. I am satisfied that my grinder is brand new.

keno

#10: Post by keno replying to Velomane »

But wouldn't that result in it being reset to zero?