Mahlkonig K30 Grinding Routine

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jph437

#1: Post by jph437 »

Interested in what other K30 owners grinding routine looks like. Are many using WDT, blind tumblers, etc? Anyone single dosing? I have been going straight into the PF and had great results, but interesting in what others are doing.

trumz

#2: Post by trumz »

jph437 (original poster)

#3: Post by jph437 (original poster) »

I had, but that thread seemed much more focused on how much folks were purging versus the rest of their routine.

Ellejaycafe

#4: Post by Ellejaycafe »

I grind half the dose, tap on the forks once to settle, then finish the dose. Do the perger style tapping to distribute, tamp, then go. Haven't had a spritzer or channeling in a long time doing this. The k30 does a superb job at distributing the grinds and produces a fluffy grind (that's why I have to stop half way thru dosing and that's putting 17.5 in an 18g VST; if I don't settle half way grinds start to fall out). I haven't read a single comment of anyone WDTing, using a blind shaker, or single dosing with the k30. Just keep it simple, one of the many reasons I love the k30.
LMWDP #544

tgfoyl1472

#5: Post by tgfoyl1472 replying to Ellejaycafe »

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Could I ask you how long (time wise) are you setting your K30 to get your 17.5g dose? I have a K30 arriving tomorrow and I was looking for some baseline settings to start the dial in process.

Thanks again

Zoey

#6: Post by Zoey »

I single dose my K30. The bean hopper has been removed, and in its place is a tamper. Using the "Barista" mode, I grind directly into the PF, and usually have to stop 2-3 times to "thwap" the side of the PF with my hand to settle the grind. I then use the Stockfleth method to do the initial grooming, followed by use of an OCD. From there on it's business as usual.

More likely than not, I will buy a Tidaka Trichter and eliminate the need for several trips to the grinder to fill the PF.

I absolutely love this little item for keeping the work area tidy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O ... UTF8&psc=1. The bristles are super soft; the square shape helps to get into little nooks and crannies, and although just a hair big, it's not too big (personal preference). Two thumbs up, and highly recommended by myself.

Ellejaycafe

#7: Post by Ellejaycafe »

tgfoyl1472 wrote:Hi,

Thanks for your response. Could I ask you how long (time wise) are you setting your K30 to get your 17.5g dose? I have a K30 arriving tomorrow and I was looking for some baseline settings to start the dial in process.

Thanks again
4.2 seconds. It started out around 3.6-3.7 if I remember correctly, after 700lbs it has been at 4.2, for this blend, for a long while.
LMWDP #544

Zanderfy

#8: Post by Zanderfy »

Zoey wrote:I single dose my K30. The bean hopper has been removed, and in its place is a tamper. Using the "Barista" mode, I grind directly into the PF, and usually have to stop 2-3 times to "thwap" the side of the PF with my hand to settle the grind. I then use the Stockfleth method to do the initial grooming, followed by use of an OCD. From there on it's business as usual.

More likely than not, I will buy a Tidaka Trichter and eliminate the need for several trips to the grinder to fill the PF.

I absolutely love this little item for keeping the work area tidy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O ... UTF8&psc=1. The bristles are super soft; the square shape helps to get into little nooks and crannies, and although just a hair big, it's not too big (personal preference). Two thumbs up, and highly recommended by myself.
Hmm, this is very helpful, thanks! I've heard from a few sources that single-dosing the K30 is really inconsistent. (which, admittedly, I have no idea what is meant by that...)

Do you have any insight as to (in)consistencies with single-dosing? Do you have to grind finer? Do you add a little more than you expect to account for retention?

Also, what is a Tidaka Trichter? Is there a specific model suitable for the K30?

Sorry for the curiosity, but love to hear it working for someone!

Zoey

#9: Post by Zoey »

Well, from what I gleam, the issue with single-dosing is a "popcorning" effect. What happens is that without the weight of additional beans above what is being ground, the beans tend to "pop" up away from the grinder burrs. This is thought to cause "inconsistent" grinding in that the particle size is inconsistent (larger and smaller pieces/fines).

There are many opinions regarding single-dosing. For myself, I prefer to keep my beans in sealed containers and dose freshly. Of greater concern, my cabinets are low enough that I couldn't install the hopper if I wanted to, so I guess it's a predestined decision for me.

I will typically dose at +0.2-0.3g over my intended weight in the basket. I weigh the PF before and after dosing. The chute does retain some coffee, and I typically use a very small bottle brush to evict the grinds. I bent a small curvature in the brush so as to be able to reach further into the grinder chute.

The first thing I did with my grinder is readjust the "0" point. The true "0" is not actually as indicated on the side of the grinder by the hash marks. It's a simple procedure, and once my grinder has been seasoned enough, I will probably go back and reset it again. Search YouTube and you'll find some detailed videos on how to do this.

Here's a link to the Tidaka Trichter: https://www.tidaka.net/de/Trichter.html. As far as the size goes, I'm not exactly sure, so I sent them an email today with the measurements of my PF handle and basket. I like this particular style of funnel because it doesn't sit inside the basket, which creates a gap between the beans and the side of the basket. I'm also considering getting their Tampercube. I've been stalling on the purchase of either because they definitely aren't cheap.

jph437 (original poster)

#10: Post by jph437 (original poster) »

Ellejaycafe wrote:I grind half the dose, tap on the forks once to settle, then finish the dose. Do the perger style tapping to distribute, tamp, then go. Haven't had a spritzer or channeling in a long time doing this. The k30 does a superb job at distributing the grinds and produces a fluffy grind (that's why I have to stop half way thru dosing and that's putting 17.5 in an 18g VST; if I don't settle half way grinds start to fall out). I haven't read a single comment of anyone WDTing, using a blind shaker, or single dosing with the k30. Just keep it simple, one of the many reasons I love the k30.
I am very similar in the perger style tamping and when i get that right the extractions are excellent. Really enjoying the K30 over the Breville Smart Grinder Pro...believe it or not. :)