Mahlkonig K30 ES - not fine enough [solved] - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bluecold

#11: Post by Bluecold »

jammin wrote:Jeff,

I single dose with my k10 as well. Results are great and I challenge you to a popcorning contest lol;)
I'm in.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

morethancoffee

#12: Post by morethancoffee »

Hi

this thread is marked as solved. What was your solution? I have the exact same problem with my almost new K30 and looking for help.

Advertisement
EricBNC

#13: Post by EricBNC »

Look here
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

morethancoffee

#14: Post by morethancoffee »

Hi

Thanks for the link. Unfortuntely I did all that already step by step. From the sound of the burrs, it seems to be the correct setting. But without success in the cup. I still can not grind fine enough to get 30ml in 25 seconds.

It seems that my K30 has the right setting. The grinder is only 6 months old. Bought it second hand. Around 30 kg beans according to the non-deleteble counters. So this is nothing for a K30. So the burrs should be still in good shape. But even at setting 0' the espresso rushes through my izzo Alex Duetto II. Same beans in my Macap M7D can be easily grinded fine enough.

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks

Viernes

#15: Post by Viernes »

Do you single dose? You must use the hopper with the K30

EricBNC

#16: Post by EricBNC replying to Viernes »

I don't use the hopper with mine.
LMWDP #378

morethancoffee

#17: Post by morethancoffee »

Hi
Viernes wrote:Do you single dose? You must use the hopper with the K30
No I do not single dose. And I always use the hopper.

I talked with Mahlkönig on the phone today. It seems that the problem is the flapper. They say that if the flapper is somehow damaged, it can not hold long enough the beans within the chamber and this is why it does not grind fine enough although the burrs are in good shape.

They will send me by mail 2 new flappers and an instruction manual how to replace the old one. One flapper will be out of silicon, one out of metal. They changed just a few months ago in the production the flappers from silicon to metal, but both have pro and cons. I can then try it with each and see which one is working better for me.

I will report back. Thanks.

Advertisement
Viernes

#18: Post by Viernes »

morethancoffee wrote: I talked with Mahlkönig on the phone today. It seems that the problem is the flapper. They say that if the flapper is somehow damaged, it can not hold long enough the beans within the chamber and this is why it does not grind fine enough although the burrs are in good shape.
:?:

I don't understand it... but hope it solves you the problem...

What are the pros and cons between metal and silicone?

morethancoffee

#19: Post by morethancoffee »

The metal flapper allows to grind even finer than with the silicon flapper. The con is it brakes easier than the silicon one.

The flapper is directly at the border of the burrs within the exit funnel. It only let the beans out, if enough pressure is there. While holding the beans away from the exit in the meantime, the beans will get crashed more often.

As soon as the flapper is partially damaged, the beans are thrown out to early and are therefore not fine enough broken. I will try to upload a photo. My English is not good enough for this technical description.

Although I have a very new model of the K30 Vario (ca. 6 months old), I have a silicon flapper. It seems that the seller put something into the funnel from outside to clean it and damaged with this the flapper.

The flapper is cutted like a star into different triangles. It seems that some parts of this star are lost with mine (in the upper part). The lower part of the flapper seems to be pushed too much into the throat.

EricBNC

#20: Post by EricBNC »

My metal flapper is taped up so it stays completely out of the grind path but still the grounds go fine enough - if you adjust till you hear the burrs chirp and then back off a hair (on mine at least, with fresh roasted coffee) it will happily make coffee dust.

I am glad the flapper fix works for you though...

I don't think the opening on mine has any flaps.
LMWDP #378