Mahlkonig Guatemala question...

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Mike Eyre

#1: Post by Mike Eyre »

I've got a Mahlkonig Guatemala that I pretty much stole from a shop going out of business in my neck of the woods, but when I got it home and looked at it, I see that it's slightly different that the ones I see in the pics online for the current version. I assume it's an older model, of course, but there's no date code on it that I recognize. the thing that stands out is that the on/off knob is on the very front of the base of the machine instead of on the side like I see in the pics. Any chance any of you here know what year abouts this was made and if there's anything I need to know about it when I go to order some new burrs vs. the newer models, as well as just satisfy my curiosity as to how old this thing is?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

It appears to be a relatively newer version. I'm surprised there isn't a manufactures ID plate on the back. It should list the voltage, serial number etc, as well as the year it was made.

There's a great Mahlkonig rep here in the states that services all of these. He could tell just by looking at it, but I'm also nearly certain that they didn't change burr diameter over the years. I believe the only difference is they switched to better machined burrs instead of the original cast versions.

The folks that deal with vendors and such are out of Durham NC, but the service guy is here in Santa Cruz. I've worked with him before and highly recommend him. Nice guy. Very honest.

MAHLKÖNIG USA, Inc.
4416 Bennett Memorial Road
Suite 104
Durham, N.C. 27705, USA
Phone sales/orders +1 919-383-0761
Service/parts +1 831-438-9800
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

dsc

#3: Post by dsc »

Mike I have a very similar model and I'm also hunting for burrs. If you find out anything can you update this thread, I might decide on buying a new set of burrs from the US.

Regards,
dsc.