Mahlkoenig Pro-M Grinder Jamming

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dg71

#1: Post by dg71 »

Hello All,

My nearly 2 year old Pro-M Allround is refusing to grind (rapid blinking LED) as if it is clogged, I disassembled it (there was no apparent jam) and cleaned the grind path, the problem, however, recurs after grinding about a gram, this happened when grinding for pourover, so the grind is not too fine.

If I run the grinder empty it seems to act as it always has(spins for a couple of seconds then cuts out)

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful.

Dave

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

Did this start happening after you adjusted the grind while the motor was not running?
Marshall
Los Angeles

Advertisement
dg71 (original poster)

#3: Post by dg71 (original poster) »

Yes, but only adjusting coarser. I experienced a "true" clog about a month ago, the outside symptoms are the same, but now inside the grind chamber is clear of excess grounds

The grind chamber is clear,and will turn if clear, more than 3 or 4 beans at a time cause it to lock up.

When locked up, if I open it up I can turn the burrs by hand quite easily, which temporarily clears the lock up.

The burrs seem sharp to a thumbnail (they have only ground about 150 lbs) the flaps in the chute are in place.

It occurred to me that the motor may have lost torque, or whatever senses a jam/lock up has become oversensitive for some reason. Puzzling?

Dave

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

The adjustment mechanism hates being operated without the motor moving the burrs (don't ask me how I know). It apparently doesn't care that you had no choice in this instance. When this happens, the mechanism loses control over the burr separation, and the burrs may just collapse on each other.

When this happened to me, I fixed it by recalibrating the grind (I don't know why this solved it). The directions are here: Mahlkönig ProM espresso grinder re-calibration. Please ignore my comments in that thread. It turned out I didn't know what I was talking about.
Marshall
Los Angeles

dg71 (original poster)

#5: Post by dg71 (original poster) »

Thanks Marshall,

I'll give that a try.

Dave

dg71 (original poster)

#6: Post by dg71 (original poster) »

Well, I've tried it but it didn't work. As the grinder will run when empty I don't think the burrs were collapsing onto each other.

I've just checked and I have a 2-yr warranty with my retailer, so I've sent them an e-mail.

Dave