Mahlgut grinder (Kind of Pharos-ish) - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
boxerboxer

#21: Post by boxerboxer »

Bikeminded wrote:I like the way this one empties. Never was a fan of the funnel/plug ergonomics/functionality on the Pharos.

I think it's hit/miss on getting dinged on import taxes to US. I've ordered a ton of bike parts from Germany that cost a lot more than this grinder and have never needed to pay any import taxes.
Lightweight?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#22: Post by baldheadracing »

Methyltheobromin wrote:Now if only the Pharos was actually available... I have been checking back often, as advised by oehandgrinders.com, but never found it in stock. Might need to start saving for the expensive knock-off, as it's still cheaper than the HG1 and looks quite well made...
I got a Pharos from the November batch ... and the post office lost it :? . I have been waiting for a return, but using the script that csepulv wrote:
Owner experience with Pharos manual coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso

Digging deeper into the site, this Malhgut grinder is only available in for delivery "within Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Switzerland and United Kingdom"
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

OldNuc

#23: Post by OldNuc »

Inside EU only and limited at that.
Exactly how are you going to get the ground coffee off of the lower bearing support? Does not look like it will long endure physical violence to jar it off and with that drawer in the way a brush is going to make a mess. Pull drawer, rotate grinder 90 degrees, brush off into drawer.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by JohnB. »

Bikeminded wrote:I think it's hit/miss on getting dinged on import taxes to US. I've ordered a ton of bike parts from Germany that cost a lot more than this grinder and have never needed to pay any import taxes.
Depends how they are shipped. Items shipped by DHL in Germany are often delivered by the USPS over here. I've never gotten hit for Custom's fees & duties if the USPS delivers it. If it comes in by UPS or Fed Ex you will get a separate bill within a week of delivery.
LMWDP 267

Bikeminded (original poster)

#25: Post by Bikeminded (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote: Depends how they are shipped. Items shipped by DHL in Germany are often delivered by the USPS over here. I've never gotten hit for Custom's fees & duties if the USPS delivers it. If it comes in by UPS or Fed Ex you will get a separate bill within a week of delivery.
Thanks. That's good to know. Yeah, things I've ordered have been the DHL USPS route. Didn't know the 'dinging' would occur with UPS/FEDEX.

OldNuc

#26: Post by OldNuc »

USPS is supposed to collect if it is tagged. Something is broken ...

fotomanufaktur

#27: Post by fotomanufaktur »

Hi everybody,

thank you all for the feedback. We started n the last days and we are really impressed about it. In the next days we will translate our Website in English by a professional translator (Sorry about my bad English ) and we will collect all informations about shipping and tax outside of Europe. We have the problem, that the German stuff (CNC for example) is very expensive, but with a really high quality. I think without tax our Mahlgut-1 Grinder (And all stuff for the future) is also a grinder alternative for the U.S.

Take a look on our Blog or the Facebook Page for following news in the next days.

Regards

Michael from Mahlgut.
cheers

Michael

Whale

#28: Post by Whale »

orphanespresso wrote:It is amazing to me that a couple of hippies in a tent could have come up with something so pure as to inspire so many copies. Who knew? :)
1- I admire the restrain and good heart that you demonstrate in seeing all these copies/inspired grinders come to market.
2- No one, to my knowledge, has matched the performance and price point of the Pharos yet!
3- Just read about the redesign of the Pharos. Good luck I will be following that.
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by JohnB. »

OldNuc wrote:USPS is supposed to collect if it is tagged. Something is broken ...
Yes it's supposed to work that way but in over 14 years of ordering parts from Europe/Aus. the USPS has never hit me with a fee so I always specify a service that involves the USPS if possible. The Postal service is so bad in some countries (Italy) that suppliers refuse to use it & Fed Ex/UPS is the only option.
LMWDP 267

nixda

#30: Post by nixda »

Indeed, imitation is the best form of flattery, but truly, the basic design of such mills has been around for centuries. As far as I can tell, most of the efforts nowadays goes into stabilizing the axel, easy adjustability of grind size, and getting all grounds out without making much of a mess. Old coffee mills all looked very similar, so it is not surprising to me that modern coffee mills (whether electric or manual) also look similar. There are only so many ways of putting burrs into a stand. If they had put a different shroud around the innards, nobody probably would have complained. But that's just cosmetics. What would make this grinder different for me (despite the similar looks) is if it performed better than the Pharos. Does it? We'll see, I guess.