Mahlgut grinder (Kind of Pharos-ish) - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Chert

#11: Post by Chert »

A very impressive knock-off. But this aspect is way different than the Pharos:
Bevor sich der gemahlene Kaffee in der Schublade sammelt, passiert er einen magnetischen Abscheider. Dieser fängt den unerwünschten Abrieb vom Mahlwerk, der regulär durch die Abnutzung entstehen kann, auf. Bei der Reinigung der Mühle wird der Abrieb entfernt. So können keine Metallspäne in den Kaffee gelangen.
A magnet serves to keep metal shards from entering the grounds.
LMWDP #198

Bodka Coffee

#12: Post by Bodka Coffee »

And where is the metal coming from? I've found corn and rocks in my coffee but never metal. Maybe I need a magnet....

Nate42

#13: Post by Nate42 »

Looks interesting, but not for that price. What I'd really like is to see our friends at OE develop a Pharos 2. And yes, I'd gladly pay more than the original pharos provided there are real improvements. Just not that much more. :)

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by dumpshot »

Here is my takeaway:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
LMWDP #484

day

#15: Post by day »

Nate42 wrote:Looks interesting, but not for that price. What I'd really like is to see our friends at OE develop a Pharos 2. And yes, I'd gladly pay more than the original pharos provided there are real improvements. Just not that much more. :)
Hey now dont ask them to price out us low income bracket! :)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

The price is 699 € which is around $790. Americans won't pay the VAT though - which puts the price pretty much right in the middle between the Pharos and the HG one (~$640US).

Of the three, I like the steampunk-ish look of the Pharos the best.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

OldNuc

#17: Post by OldNuc »

Out of EU escapes the EU VAT but picks up whatever taxes your country imposes for import. Then there is the bite of shipping. This thing will be closer to the EU including VAT delivered

Methyltheobromin

#18: Post by Methyltheobromin »

Now if only the Pharos was actually available... I have been checking back often, as advised by oehandgrinders.com, but never found it in stock. Might need to start saving for the expensive knock-off, as it's still cheaper than the HG1 and looks quite well made...

Bikeminded (original poster)

#19: Post by Bikeminded (original poster) »

I like the way this one empties. Never was a fan of the funnel/plug ergonomics/functionality on the Pharos.

I think it's hit/miss on getting dinged on import taxes to US. I've ordered a ton of bike parts from Germany that cost a lot more than this grinder and have never needed to pay any import taxes.

OldNuc

#20: Post by OldNuc »

I don't think they read the paperwork and just guess. The 500.00 part looks just like the 5.00 part to the unknowing and/or uncaring. They are busy looking for medications from overseas pharmacies.