Madebyknock Feldwood Settings Slipping

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tglodjo

#1: Post by tglodjo »

Does anyone here have any experience with a Feldgrind or Feldwood not holding its setting while grinding? For the past few weeks, my Feldwood has been slipping when grinding, and I cannot figure out why (nor can I think of anything that has changed in these weeks that would cause it). I've tried cleaning it, thinking maybe oils or whatnot might be causing it when the beans get between the burrs, but I'm still having the same issue. The Feldwood adjusts with a dial at the top. When I grind about 25g of beans (medium roast, some light though not too hard), the dial slips back (coarsens) about a full rotation.

Bob_M

#2: Post by Bob_M »

My Feldgrind's hopper cap's center hole was too small and sometimes rubbed against the adjustment ring.and result was what u describe. I opened the cap a little with a Dremel tool and problem solved. Maybe yours is the same.

max

#3: Post by max »

Could also be an o-ring that needs to be replaced:
There is a small o-ring that sits on the shaft inside the dial nut and ensures the dial nut doesn't unscrew when in use.
It is possible to pull the shaft from the bottom of the grinder through the bearings with the o-ring in place though this should not be done frequently or the o-ring will then need replacing (6mm diameter 1.5mm cross section).
From http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.ph ... post402599

tglodjo (original poster)

#4: Post by tglodjo (original poster) »

Bob_M wrote:My Feldgrind's hopper cap's center hole was too small and sometimes rubbed against the adjustment ring.and result was what u describe. I opened the cap a little with a Dremel tool and problem solved. Maybe yours is the same.
This might be it. The humidity in my area (TN) is insane--so much so that the catch cup split. The cap for the top is really tight and often touches the dial. I'll definitely check in to expanding the opening a little. I'll also check the o-ring. Thanks for the feedback.

tglodjo (original poster)

#5: Post by tglodjo (original poster) »

I left the cap off when grinding for my pour over this morning and did not experience the grind setting slipping. Next up is to get a dremel to extend the opening a bit. Glad it's a simple fix. Thanks for the feedback.