Macap MC4 - Any way to get finer stepped adjustment?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
AllNight

#1: Post by AllNight »

I've been using a MC4 for a couple of months now, and found that for most of the coffee I grind with it, I can't hit a 2 ounce extraction of espresso in 25 - 30 seconds. For example, one setting will produce a 2 ounce extract in 16 seconds, when the next finer setting will produce a 2 ounce extract in 35 or more seconds.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of upgraded stepped adjustment ring that has more resolution (in other words, finer adjustments).

A stepless version of the MC4 would be nice, but there doesn't appear to be one... only one with a doser (M4), which I don't want, or one with a digital operation (M4D), which I also don't want.

keno

#2: Post by keno »

Don't think you can get a finer stepped adjustment, but you should be able to convert it to stepless with a few parts. Here is a link to the worm gear on CC: https://www.chriscoffee.com/mobile/Prod ... x?id=39908

Alternatively, you can just adjust the dose up or down slightly to change the flow rate and extraction time.

keno

#3: Post by keno »

AllNight wrote:A stepless version of the MC4 would be nice, but there doesn't appear to be one... only one with a doser (M4), which I don't want, or one with a digital operation (M4D), which I also don't want.
This website shows that an MC4 stepless doserless is apparently available: http://www.kitchen-universe.com/Macap-M ... -p/mc4.htm

AllNight (original poster)

#4: Post by AllNight (original poster) »

I e-mailed Macap and received a reply from them:
Good afternoon,

thank you your contact and for sharing with us your comments.

The MC4 is supplied also with the stepless adjusting system. Please find the leaflet herein enclosed for your reference.

For further information you can check also our web site.

Kind regards
Here's a capture of the PDF leaflet that they sent me, with the optional stepless system for the MC4 highlighted:

Unfortunately, I can't find any source online that makes a stepless MC4 available, either for immediate shipping or special ordering.

It would seem to me that a stepless MC4 could be special ordered by someone?

Any idea on who that might be?

#5: Post by AllNight (original poster) »

keno wrote:This website shows that an MC4 stepless doserless is apparently available: http://www.kitchen-universe.com/Macap-M ... -p/mc4.htm
I'm not sure about that as I've heard of sites shipping stepped MC4's but incorrectly listing them as stepless (not that I know that that's the case here, just that I've read some posts on the net to that effect). The image on that page does appear to be the stepped model. And that page doesn't come up on their site's search, probably because it is listed as out of stock. The "Add to Cart" button just displays a message that it's out of stock so it appears orders can't be placed.

It seems to me like an official Macap vendor should be able to special order a MC4 with the optional Stepless Adjustment System. Again, anyone know who I can try asking?

#6: Post by AllNight (original poster) »

I heard back from Macap and they advised that the Macap MC4 Doserless with the Stepless Adjustment Option can be ordered here:

https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/inde ... uct_id=354

The total cost including delivery is $359.88, which is about the same I paid for a Rocky.

(There will probably be some brokerage due on delivery; this is shipping out of Italy.)

:D 8) :lol:

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by emradguy replying to AllNight »

It'll perform a hell of a lot better than a Rocky too! I mean, the difference in the cup is friggin' HUGE. I know this because I upgraded from a Rocky to a stepless M4 back in like...2007 or 2008 (hard to remember, it's been so long), but I sure remember how much better my espresso got just by getting that M4!).
LMWDP #748

Flitzgordon

#8: Post by Flitzgordon »

Isn't the MC4 a bulk coffee grinder?

There's no portafilter holder and switch conveniently located?

Boldjava

#9: Post by Boldjava »

I have used the MC4, stepped, for espresso for 9 years. My steps produce about 3 seconds difference in pulls on my Cremina. Not sure why you are having difficulties. I grind into the portafilter with an Orphan Espresso funnel.

I change the burrs out at about 250 pounds rather than the recommended 400 lbs. Year of manufacture is 2006.

Tamp?
-----
LMWDP #339