LIDO II play in burrs?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Almico

#1: Post by Almico »

Seems to be some play in the burrs, even when tightened all the way down.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by samuellaw178 »

That's is part of the design and is completely normal.

brianl

#3: Post by brianl »

I don't see an issue. How does the coffee taste?

espressoonmymind

#4: Post by espressoonmymind »

I don't think it's much of a problem. I see it in mine, but once you are grinding you're pressing down, so the grind should be coming out a even as it can. An electric my have less or no tolerance because your weight is not needed.

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

My terminology may be incorrect, but I believe it's just part of the floating burr design and is completely normal. It doesn't cause any negative effects in use, because when it's upright and actually grinding, the coffee acts almost like a wedge/spacer as its passing thru the burrs.

That's an awesome woodworking bench too by the way.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Bob_McBob

#6: Post by Bob_McBob »

brianl wrote:How does the coffee taste?
Do we really need a token "how does the coffee taste?" reply blowing off the OP in every single post about potential equipment issues? Not every problem is immediately obvious in the cup, and I sincerely doubt most people making these comments have taken the time to do blind taste testing to identify equipment faults themselves. I'd much prefer people feel free to ask questions about their equipment than try to taste the coffee and hope any fault jumps out at them from trying a single copy.
Chris

brianl

#7: Post by brianl replying to Bob_McBob »

In my opinion, yes. And were not blowing the OP off. IF he's posting because it tastes funky/off, thats important. If you think otherwise, ignore my post. easy peezy.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#8: Post by jbviau »

Alan, see this post where Doug discusses vertical play. Right, not an issue IMO. You can shim if you want. I never saw the need to.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Almico (original poster)

#9: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to jbviau »

Ah-ha! OK then. I just hadn't noticed it before. Thanks everyone.

lippstuh

#10: Post by lippstuh »

Have you tried realigning your burrs? You may need to even if it came like that from factory.

I had some play but noticed I had a lot of fines. I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGO_Onbx0NI to realign my burrs and noticed the play was significantly less. If I am guessing, you have about 3-5x the amount of play I have.

I suggest you follow the video and realign it. It won't hurt.