LIDO E: Keeping track of grind adjustment

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JFDUP

#1: Post by JFDUP »

Hey guys,

I just received my Lido E today and I have a quick question concerning how to keep track of your adjustment. When turning the lower adjustment ring, do you pick a point of reference over the smaller lock in ring or? I'm looking at the distance from one of the four screw holding the hopper for example. Is that the technique you guys are using as well? BTW, I love the grinder! It looks awesome and makes a very even grind.

Thanks for the help!

PS: Yes I did a search of the grinder section before posting this, but I couldn't really find a clear answer.

Cheers!

JF

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by jwCrema »

In the package the LIDO E is shipped in, Doug (& Barb) describe ways they keep track of grind settings. It's on an 8x11.5 sheet of paper.

Advertisement
trombahonker

#3: Post by trombahonker »

I use the burr-carrier ring's lines and the bean carrier's line to determine what the set position is. I don't think the lock ring's lines are important.

~A

JFDUP (original poster)

#4: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to illustrate that. I'm doing something similar as well, but instead of using the black line on top, I'm using a mark on the adjustment ring against the position of a screw. If the marks on the locking ring are irrelevant, wouldn't it have been easier to do the ring without any markings on it?

JF

trombahonker

#5: Post by trombahonker »

I imagine it was just a cosmetic thing, they wanted it to look consistent.

So for the coffee I'm using now in a double basket, I'm grinding set 5 ticks open. When "fully closed" the two black lines should line up directly. The instructions indicated that typically espresso grind is in the neighborhood of 4 ticks. One of the darker roasts I use works well around there, but anything lighter seems to prefer a smidgen coarser.

~A

JFDUP (original poster)

#6: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

I'm around 4 with my medium roast. I'm amazed at how different my puck looks after pulling my shot. With my old 64 mm flat burr grinder, I would almost always see a crack in the puck (even with the late lock in method), but with the Lido, I'm getting a nice even puck. I'm also able to dose more coffee in the basket. Before, I'd put about 16.2 g and the basket would be full, now I'm able to go up to about 16.5-6 no problem.

I also don't have to use the needle trick to stir my coffee before tamping. I'm now using a very easy routine. Grind coffee, put on the cone adapter, dump the coffee in the basket, give the basket 2-3 taps to settle it and do a medium light tamp and polish.

I'm not using the freshest coffee (roasted December 28th), but I'm still getting more flavour and a better looking shot than I did with the same beans with my La San Marco grinder.

On the plus side, the Lido looks much much better on my counter next to the La Pavoni (and my fiance was more than thrilled to see the gigantic La San Marco grinder gone!)

trombahonker

#7: Post by trombahonker »

Yeah, told you so! Conical burrs cut the beans differently, so you get little "plates" of coffee grounds as opposed to little "morsels" like flat-burrs produce.

~A

Advertisement
JFDUP (original poster)

#8: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

It's just hard to believe that such a small grinder with smaller burrs can produce better results than a large commercial type grinder. I'm also loving the adjustability of the grinder.

RAS

#9: Post by RAS »

Jean-Francois,

Great to hear you're liking the E - as I finish a cappuccino from my La Pavoni + E combination. The workflow is simple and the process is neat. And the results... Just wish this grinder was available when I went searching for the perfect grinder a few years ago. That left me with beasts on the counter that made so much noise I moved them to the garage to allow my wife to keep sleeping on a weekend morning. No more. Small profile, minimal footprint and I grind right there in my kitchen (the novelty of that!). Kinda makes you wonder about this whole "Titan Fever". Yes, the big boys have their fans, but for me, the Lido E (and Lido 2 for drip) have ended my search for the perfect grinder.

Time for another round...
Bob

JFDUP (original poster)

#10: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

I was just going to post the same thing! I just pulled a nice cappuccino and I'm amazed at the flavour and the quality of the grind that comes out of this thing. I can also see a difference in speed after going through about 2 lbs of beans. I got 16.7 g in around 30 seconds. For some reason, I'm able to dose more coffee in the basket and this seems to help with the "cracked puck" issue I had with my old grinder. It's very quiet and looks awesome next to my europiccola. I would certainly recommend this grinder to people interested in getting into espresso at a fairly affordable price point.