LIDO 3 Pictures from SCAJ show in Japan - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#61: Post by jbviau »

I happened to notice that the plastic anti-static jar is now available to buy separately: http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-LIDO-A ... _p_56.html
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Eastsideloco

#62: Post by Eastsideloco »

orphanespresso wrote:Just moving forward on the discussion a bit....the Lido 3 burr is designed by Chistian Ettinger (Millco), who now designs and supplies the burrs for the sub Vario Baratza grinders. It is basically designed to require less turning force to grind and is the same size as the Italmil burr in the 2. It is not what I would call a 'nibbler' because the primary cutters are greatly reduced leaving a large opening for beans but the primary crushing is more like a roller mill effect than the Lido1 burr which nibbled off small chunks. Also, the only plastic parts are the hopper and jar, the rest is all aluminum.

And yes, all of the parts are interchangeable with the Lido 2 and vice versa.
Good stuff. I'm ready to add this to my travel kit whenever you are ready to release it. (If you don't already have your beta sites selected, I'm a willing volunteer. :wink: )

Advertisement
bostonbuzz

#63: Post by bostonbuzz »

I would love to get a set of burrs whenever you feel like posting those for sale under accessories!
LMWDP #353

Possepat

#64: Post by Possepat »

Anyone heard any updates from Doug and Barb on the latest Lido version?
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

yakster
Supporter ♡

#65: Post by yakster »

There was a Twitter post today from @OrphanEspresso which included a picture here.
Workin' on the Lido 3...at the Juggler Cafe in Taichung City - Jeremy has a way with coffee!
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing
Team HB

#66: Post by baldheadracing »

The idea of substituting easier-to-turn burrs into the Lido2 sounds interesting. I wonder how much else will be interchangeable between the Lido2 and the Lido3. I think that I would change to the folding handle if that were possible. The Lido2 is nicely portable right now though - especially with the groovy carrying case :mrgreen:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Exordium01

#67: Post by Exordium01 »

orphanespresso wrote:Just moving forward on the discussion a bit....the Lido 3 burr is designed by Chistian Ettinger (Millco), who now designs and supplies the burrs for the sub Vario Baratza grinders. It is basically designed to require less turning force to grind and is the same size as the Italmil burr in the 2. It is not what I would call a 'nibbler' because the primary cutters are greatly reduced leaving a large opening for beans but the primary crushing is more like a roller mill effect than the Lido1 burr which nibbled off small chunks. Also, the only plastic parts are the hopper and jar, the rest is all aluminum.

And yes, all of the parts are interchangeable with the Lido 2 and vice versa.
How does it compare to the Lido 2 for espresso. I'm upgrading my home machine, and sticking with the Pharos. The current home machine is moving to work and I'd like a travel sized grinder for work duty and to replace the Hario mini mill that lives in my travel kit.

Advertisement
justie

#68: Post by justie »

Quite interested in this as well. Does anyone know how well the anti static jar works? Hoping it can remove the need for O rings as I sometimes experience slipping between the locking ring and grind adjustment ring. ALso hoping the handle is interchangeable between the Lido 2 and 3 as a folding handle will greatly help when travelling with a lido 2

[creative nickname]

#69: Post by [creative nickname] »

The anti-static jar works very well. I was using an o-ring to reduce retention above the top of the glass jar, but this isn't necessary with the plastic jar. It is also less prone to binding to the lower adjustment ring when tightened.
LMWDP #435

TSD

#70: Post by TSD »

I've been curious about the Lido 3, and I've put off purchasing the Lido 2 until there are some beta tests for the 3. However, I noticed something while doing some image searches of the Lido burrs. If you take a look at the Lido 2 and 3 burr shots Doug posted, and compare them to Baratza burrs, you will notice that the Lido 2 burr looks very similar to the old Virtuoso burr, and the Lido 3 burr looks very similar to the Preciso burr. Perhaps it would be reasonable to assume the Lido 2 performance would be more similar to the old Virtuoso, while the Lido 3 will be more similar to the Preciso. If you look up the grind distribution graphs by Baratza, they may be useful to speculate the differences between the two Lido models until someone can give us real life comparisons.

Comparison of Lido Burrs:

Comparison of Baratza Burrs: