LIDO 3 Pictures from SCAJ show in Japan - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
CaffeineAndKilos38

#31: Post by CaffeineAndKilos38 »

Damn I just ordered my Lido 2 the other day! Haha

drgary
Team HB

#32: Post by drgary »

You're not worried about the extra weight, are you?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Japheth

#33: Post by Japheth »

I too am awaiting the shipping of my Lido 2, and now with this upcoming smaller and lighter version, I wonder if I should cancel my order (assuming I can) and wait for the 3.
- Japheth L.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#34: Post by orphanespresso »

Lido 3 will not be available until Spring...at the earliest!

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

I have had my original Lido and used it happily for a while, never even looked at the Lido 2 as I had a Lido, why get another?

Well I finally got my hands on the Lido 2 at a friends coffee shop and WOW, it makes the Lido look and feel like a rough prototype!

The build quality, tolerances, design, feel are in a totally different league from the original Lido.

I have the original Rossa hand grinder as a part of my Rossa/Rosco Portaspresso setup and use it more than my Lido as it is easier to tune the grind. When you compare the Lido 2 price to the Rossa, with the quality of the Lido 2 as high as it is, the Lido 2 is a clear winner in my opinion.

If you have a Lido 2 already ordered I would just wait for it to arrive, it is a quality grinding tool at a really good price.
LMWDP #371

Possepat

#36: Post by Possepat »

Good thing I saw this thread. I was just about to pull the trigger on the L2. I'll wait for the L3 as this is specifically for travel.
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

I know the Lido has many fans and faithful users, mine was one of the first ones made and it sits inside a glass trophy case by my coffee bar. 8) I helped first demonstrate it to many coffee people in my town and now there many in use here.

But, the Lido 2 is in a different level of finished production quality, the original Lido has a charming almost handmade feel, like the Pharos which I also have and use regularly.

Excited to see the Lido 3, if it builds on the refinement that was done in the making of the the 2, it will be a real gem.
LMWDP #371

drgary
Team HB

#38: Post by drgary »

I'm traveling today with LIDO 1 number 6 and like to pair it with an AeroPress in my travel kit. The grind is set for the AP. I agree with Jeremy that the LIDO 2 is a much more finished product. I leave it set for pourover. It grinds faster than LIDO 1. I use my VDD Pharos for single dosing espresso. It grinds ridiculously fast, about 10 sec for 28 gm. I'm sure LIDO 3 will be excellent. When you get to this level of grinder it's all good. You taste the nuances in your brew. None of them will be the latest version for long. Any coffee kit will add bulk to your travel bags. All will last a very long time and will save you from drinking hotel coffee. :wink:
Gary
LMWDP#308

TheJavaCup77

#39: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

I wonder if anyone pre-ordered it....

If you pre-ordered one and have read this....

You probably regret it.....

And to the OP, How did you get this info...?

I dont think its a good idea for the retrofit since the outer burr of a LIDO2 may not work with the inner burr of a V3
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

drgary
Team HB

#40: Post by drgary »

Janet and I enjoyed a visit with Barb and Doug. It was a lot of fun meeting face-to-face after these years.

The moment I stepped up to the booth Barb handed me a LIDO 3 so I could get a good sense of it. As you can see by the earlier photos, the LIDO 3 uses more plastic in its construction. It also has a plastic catch jar and is intentionally designed with no excess material, so it's lighter weight than either 1 or 2. I was assured it will be a very high-quality, durable plastic capable of standing the stressors of travel and daily use. It has a well-engineered, folding and lockable handle so it can be packed as a tube in an included neoprene bag. There's a great feel to that locking mechanism. When it's extended it seems as solid as if there were no hinge. Grinding with it feels like the nibbler style of the LIDO 1 burr.

As Doug already posted on page 2, the LIDO 3 is not an upgrade to the LIDO 2. It is purposed differently for travel and easier turning. The adjustment mechanism is of similar design to the LIDO 2.

Put another way, getting a LIDO 3 for travel would not dissuade me from keeping my LIDO 2, which has a heft that's reminiscent of the Pharos. Like any retro hand tool, I like the solid feel of it. The LIDO 3 doesn't feel skimpy, but the crunch and rapidity of grinding with a LIDO 2 is very satisfying and sets it apart from versions 1 and 3.

People may scare themselves about the plastic content of this grinder before having one in their hand. There are durable plastics available for manufacturing as long as the design has built-in tolerances for the forces applied.
Gary
LMWDP#308