LIDO 2 - Removing inner burr from carrier

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
aaaanndy

#1: Post by aaaanndy »

Hey all,

I have been experiencing some unexplained misalignment on my Lido 2, and I think that I've found the culprit: the inner burr isn't seated completely flat on the carrier. There is a gap enough to slide an index card under the burr on one side.

Here's the question: how can I safely disengage the thread locker so that I can remove it he burr without damaging it?

I'm not sure if I plan to re-seat it with thread locker or just let the rice of grinding keep it seated.

Thanks!
I don't know what to put here.

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

Heat breaks Loctite. A good hair dryer will get it warm enough to allow gently levering it up off of the 3 posts. You want it too hot to hang onto. Even the industrial; grade 27x locktites let go easily when heated. If no hair dryer then a pot of boiling water will do it.

aaaanndy (original poster)

#3: Post by aaaanndy (original poster) »

Right on, I'll get the hair dryer on the case when I get home from work.

bostonbuzz

#4: Post by bostonbuzz »

How do you know the holding collar isn't the thing that's not straight? Mine is slightly off but the burr is straight.
LMWDP #353

#5: Post by aaaanndy (original poster) »

Well, I guess I don't know. We'll see what happens when I get it apart.

OldNuc

#6: Post by OldNuc »

The outer edge of the inner burr platform is slightly rounded so if you are concerned about the inner burr platform being exactly 90 degrees to the shaft then you will need a good lathe and dial indicator to check it. It might be exactly 90 degrees and not look like it from inspecting the outer edge burr-platform interface.

#7: Post by aaaanndy (original poster) »

Yeah, I definitely don't have all of the tools to check anything beyond my vision. However, I will get to it today -- it isn't performing well, so I have to do something.

Will the heat from a hair dryer damage the plastic (Teflon?) bushing under the inner burr carrier?

achipman

#8: Post by achipman »

Is there any vertical travel in the shaft? i.e. If you pull up on the handle is there any play? I noticed this on mine and I'm wondering if its affecting the alignment during grinding.

EDIT: I see a couple of folks already asked this in the owner experience thread, but they went unanswered so I'm leaving it.
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

#9: Post by aaaanndy (original poster) »

I'm fairly certain that the force of grinding eliminates the small amount of vertical slack in the shaft.

achipman

#10: Post by achipman »

Got it. Thanks.

So it seems this is a known behavior of the LIDO 2? I had the same thing on my HG-One but it actually caused a problem. I don't *think* this is causing a problem currently on the LIDO 2. :|
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife