LIDO 2 Owner Experience - Page 55

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#541: Post by dumpshot »

Does the new lighter jar make the whole grinder *too* top heavy, or not a big deal?

Pete
LMWDP #484

beer&mathematics

#542: Post by beer&mathematics replying to dumpshot »

Pete, feels great to me since I hold the grinder at the top anyway so it actually feels even more comfortable for me.

Josh--great point! The lip on the glass is annoying with some coffees. Do you know what I mean my 'slippery-ness' of the new plastic?
LMWDP #431

Rappy

#543: Post by Rappy »

I have a question about the Lido 2 that doesn't appear to have been asked.

The burrset, as I understand it, is the Lux burrset. If this is correct (please someone confirm), then why is it that the Lido 2 is being touted as an excellent grinder for brewed coffee, when the same burrset in the Nemox Lux (which I own) is dreadful at the aforementioned grinding tasks?

My Nemox has a very stable shaft and I have modded the upper burr holder to be as stable as possible, yet it still produces a horrible amount of fines when I do pour-over or aeropress. I really want to get a brew grinder, and the Lido 2 is getting great reviews, but when I found out it is the same burrset I can't help but think people are being taken in my the charm of the creators.

Please someone provide a good reason why this can provide a meaningfully different grind from the same burrset in my Nemox grinder? Many thanks.

brianl

#544: Post by brianl »

you mention the excessive fines and so forth in your Nemox Lux but hows the cup taste? Fines are irrelevant if the brew tastes good.

Rappy

#545: Post by Rappy »

Not great. Sometimes bitter, sometimes muddy. Very very occasionally delicious. It's very inconsistent. Not even as good as a friends virtuoso.

[creative nickname]

#546: Post by [creative nickname] »

I believe the Lido 1 used the Lux burrs, and the Lido 2 uses a different, slightly larger burr set. I could be wrong about that though. What I do know for sure is that, if you dial it in correctly, the Lido 2 produces consistently excellent extractions throughout the range of brewing methods. I own a lot of grinders, and it is the one I choose for nearly all my brewing.
LMWDP #435

jbviau
Supporter ★

#547: Post by jbviau »

[creative nickname] wrote:I believe the Lido 1 used the Lux burrs, and the Lido 2 uses a different, slightly larger burr set.
^^^ This. See here for more details straight from Doug and Barb at OE. For precisification beyond that you'll need to speak with the experts themselves. Nikoli, I understand your healthy skepticism, but we're not all just drinking the Kool-Aid. 8)
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

davemmevad

#548: Post by davemmevad »

Handle Loose?
Hi All,

I just received my Lido 2 today, and the handle is loose (the metal part where it connects to the flat sided shaft). I took it off, and all is clean in there. I tried to tighten down the allen screw but nothing will make it sit tight.

Is this normal? It seems to me that play the hole will eventually round out and render the unit un usable.

Thanks
David

OldNuc

#549: Post by OldNuc »

Should be tight. I think you have a problem.

weebit_nutty

#550: Post by weebit_nutty »

There should be no wobble/tilting.. If so that is not normal.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?