LIDO 2 Owner Experience - Page 50

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Shenrei

#491: Post by Shenrei »

Just got my Lido 2 today, and am enjoying it. I find grinding pretty speedy and not too hard. Much easier than I thought it would be based off of the posts here. I am definitely getting better cups with it ( I own a Baratza Encore) and I find it very good for espresso as well. I do have some questions/concerns for the experts however since I am new to manual grinders.

1. There is a little bit of vertical slack between the handle/feeder, and the hopper when the grinder isn't at "zero." Is this normal? Will the up and down "wiggle" movement affect grind quality when I am grinding?

2. Can turning the handle at "zero" or close to "zero" be harmful to the burrs or grinder itself? Based off of the information here http://www.orphanespresso.com/Hand-Grin ... 553-1.html it shouldn't be a problem, but I am still worried/paranoid that it can do some damage if I try a Turkish grind, or if I mindlessly turn the handle without realizing the grinder is at "zero." (which has already happened) When it is at zero, the handle still turns but there is some resistance at specific points of the rotation.
- Tim

bmb

#492: Post by bmb »

Shenrei,

1. Slack is normal, it's just the distance between the burrs that you chose while dialing in.
The beans will push apart the burrs exactly that distance. Clacking or wiggling the burrs will help to clean the rest of coffee grinds.

2. A slight touch won't damage the burrs however, forcing the handle may affect the alignment.
Anyway, I don't use the Lido neither for Turkish grind nor with hard beans, exactly to avoid that kind of problem.
From espresso up to FP there is no problem.

Bili

#493: Post by Bili »

Hi guys,

I can't decide if I want to buy a Rosco Mini or a Lido 2. Has anybody here both of them at home and can compare them in matters of espresso grinding?

Boldjava

#494: Post by Boldjava »

Shenrei wrote:... but I am still worried/paranoid that it can do some damage if I try a Turkish grind...
Don't be -- I have prepared several Turkish cups with my LIDO2. Creates talcum powder. Go for it.
-----
LMWDP #339

owain

#495: Post by owain »

Just a quick question: how much wobble (if any) should there be between the shaft and the bottom mount for the inner burr? I just took it out for cleaning and it seems (though I may of course be neurotically imagining it) that it's wobbling more than it did at first. Should I just tighten it? Wary of fiddling with something that's making great coffee ;)

One other thing, really curious at what settings people are grinding for various methods. Am mainly using the lido2 for french press which is a new addiction for me after getting the grinder... tend to be at about 1+7 but I saw earlier someone using 1+11... is that crazy coarse or am I just too used to espresso??

SlowRain

#496: Post by SlowRain »

Try 1+7 and 1+11, and everything in between, and see what you and your loved ones prefer.

[creative nickname]

#497: Post by [creative nickname] »

1+8 is normally a good FP setting for me.
LMWDP #435

RedMan

#498: Post by RedMan »

Me too. I find the area between 1+8 to 1+10 gives me good FP with between 3:30 to 4 minutes extraction.
The 'zero' I calculate from is the fully tightened setting when the burrs can't move anymore.

skittles_s

#499: Post by skittles_s »

What are people doing for drip machines in terms of settings and dosage? I don't actually own a drip coffee maker so I have no way to experiment. But I will be visiting some folks who do soon with my Lido 2 in tow. In such situations when one's totally obsessive coffee habit is on full display, it's always preferred to not make a poor batch of coffee after the spectacle of weighing and hand grinding a bunch of beans... :roll:

jbviau
Supporter ★

#500: Post by jbviau replying to skittles_s »

John, try 1-1 or thereabouts. It's what I use with my Trifecta, and the "Bonavita" packs I get from Perfect that are ground using an EK43 for drip hover very close to that setting (to the point where I just pop that coffee into the Trifecta's brew chamber fairly often).
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias