LIDO 2 Owner Experience - Page 49

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
hanmak17

#481: Post by hanmak17 »

Ah yes, got it. I realized after attempting to reassemble that the adjustment ring needed to be opened up a bit to allow the outer burr to seat completely and freely. Once I did that I then reattached the hopper as in the video and spun the burrs to make sure they didn't stick anywhere. Then tightened the hopper down.

Apparently that is all that is required to align everything appropriately. Easy enough....

Curious about the zero setting though, mine is no where near the zero mark on the hopper. I am 2 marks (adjustment ring) from zero. Is this normal?

jammin

#482: Post by jammin »

my lido 2 FINALLY came in today.

a couple first impressions out of the box:

- it's heavy. this grinder is much more substantial than i imagined. i was looking forward to something a little more lightweight and travel friendly than my lido 1.

- grind adjustment is a piece of cake. i followed the instructions for drip coffee and ran a teaspoon of test beans and it looks darn close.

- it's sexy. it's better looking in person than in pictures. the look and feel combine to give the impression of quality and craftsmanship.

- it's tough to turn/grind. tougher than my lido 1, well at least in the "out of the box stage". it feels like a "good thing" though and i suspect it's due to the tight manufacturing tolerances. i trust that it will loosen as stated in the instructions.

i'm looking forward to putting this grinder through it's paces with aeropress, pour over and press pot.

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#483: Post by drgary »

Hey Jackson,

I'm about to bring my LIDO 2 with me on vacation. The LIDO 2 will grind faster than the LIDO 1 once it's broken in.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

forbeskm

#484: Post by forbeskm »

I thought I would give an update. I have used my Lido 2 for about 4 months now with my lever La Pavoni. We use it for 1-2 lattes in the morning and 1-2 in the evening. No problems with the knob or grinding. I have had a few close calls with breaking the jar but it has survived so far unscathed.

I use Luna Roasters Espresso Ottimo a medium roast and grinding has not been difficult.

[creative nickname]

#485: Post by [creative nickname] »

jammin wrote:- it's heavy. this grinder is much more substantial than i imagined. i was looking forward to something a little more lightweight and travel friendly than my lido 1.
Check out the small plastic catch-cup that John S. describes in this thread: LIDO / LIDO 2 catch cup options. I picked one up, and although it is a bit messier than using the glass cup, it significantly reduces the grinders size and weight for travel purposes.
LMWDP #435

skittles_s

#486: Post by skittles_s replying to [creative nickname] »

Mark, I took receipt of a four ounce version which is now my go-to container for single cup grinds. While just slightly taller than the two ounce version, it is less messy and retains all of the benefits regarding weight.

jammin

#487: Post by jammin »

^that 2oz plastic cup is sweet! Thanks for the tip

Advertisement
tj59510

#488: Post by tj59510 »

Just got my new Lido 2 and I have to say...the action on it is SUPER-heavy. Handle does NOT turn well at all and it has a pretty loud squeak. Has anyone else noticed this with there new Lido 2?

Eastsideloco

#489: Post by Eastsideloco »

Try putting a drop of mineral oil at the top of the pin that holds the handle knob in place. That's typically where objectionable noises come from with hand grinders.

If that doesn't work, send me the grinder. :wink:

Just kidding. It sounds like these units loosen up with use. So just keep putting beans though it, and it will get easier to crank.

bmb

#490: Post by bmb »

Grind some beans with one to one a half turns from zero.
Should be quite easy to turn, if not check if your beans aren't roasted much to clear (very hard), if beans are well roasted and it's still hard you may have some problem, maybe burr disalignment or lack of lub.