LIDO 2 Owner Experience - Page 28

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
drgary
Team HB

#271: Post by drgary »

The grip I'm suggesting is not with your fingers. It's pushing it against the meaty part of your palm. But that only works after it's broken in, so for people with hand problems I acknowledge this may be a Catch 22.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

bakafish

#272: Post by bakafish »

I also grasp it in my palm. It is easier to use this way, but the feeling is still so bad. The Pharos knob is much better.

cdneddy

#273: Post by cdneddy »

Will you be at SCAA Seattle? Would love to pick one up in person

yakster
Supporter ♡

#274: Post by yakster »

Upon visiting my folks, I discovered how nice it is to have such a capable grinder fit in my travel kit. I normally have to clean out their grinder, which often has over-roasted or flavored coffee run through it, before I can grind my own coffee to make a cup or make a pot to share. Now I can just use my Lido 2 and grind up 60 or 70 grams of coffee for us all to share without having to tear down their grinder first or even empty their hopper of whatever they're grinding at the time.

This practice will extend to other family gatherings closer to home. Over the holidays, I'll usually bring along coffee, often pre-ground, so that I can brew a pot or usually several pots of coffee at whoever's house that we're having family dinner at. If I pre-grind, I have to estimate how much coffee I need, now I can just bring the Lido 2, my coffee, and my favorite brewer.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

SpaceTime

#275: Post by SpaceTime »

Question - I have owned the LIDO 1 for about sixteen months, and use it for my French press. It has easily seen 60+ lbs of coffee through it and since aligning it on day one ( only the slightest rub at near zero) it has held. The consistency is fabulous, the fines are minimal, and the quality of my press coffee I would say is great. I do not use it for espresso.

Things about the LIDO 1 - as chronicled it is a nibbler, and larger beans require shaking to keep feeding. The cross / support brace over the burrs is why - and I noticed this was eliminated on the LIDO 2. Smaller beans, example Yirg, feed nicely, minimal to no shaking to coax feeding. Some days, I grind 64g at one time for my 44oz Freiling press, and it can take 3 - 4 min. That is the only thing about the LIDO 1 I would point out - choppy feeding of the beans at times.

Being the gear head that I am :D and always willing to try something new / better, I have been following the LIDO 2 since beta - and tempted to try it. My question is does anyone own both the 1 & 2? What are the biggest improvements / differences for press grind? Faster feed rate? Grind time? Consistency comparison? Anyone think it is a worthwhile upgrade and it would improve my grind time, feed rate and / or consistency?

I would not be using the LIDO 2 for espresso as I already have enough grinders for that!!
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

Bob_McBob

#276: Post by Bob_McBob »

I've been using my L2 for brewed coffee for a few weeks now with very positive results. The grinding motion isn't as smooth as the L1, but it goes much faster because of the improved feed rate. I'm happy with the grind quality and performance. RDT makes static a non-issue at any setting if you give it a couple taps on the side after grinding.

I was feeling adventurous today and had a go at pulling some shots with the L2. I have no interest in using it as an espresso grinder, but I was curious about whether it would work in a pinch.

I pulled five doubles trying to get it dialed in. The first one was a Turkish grind that choked the machine; the locking ring loosened multiple times and the handle even loosened a bit. The second shot a few marks coarser was a gusher that sprayed everywhere. I pulled three more shots and the closest I got was a 15 second semi-gusher that tasted pretty bad. I was going to try a sixth shot, but the locking ring is now firmly seized.

My assessment is that the grind adjustment system is not suitable for the espresso range. It's not possible to consistently make a precise enough adjustment and lock the ring down properly. The two rings can actually be turned with each other a couple notches coarser even with the locking ring torqued down. It's also extremely difficult actually grind the coffee. I'm a big guy in pretty good shape, and after 4-5 doubles I was breathing heavily and starting to feel sweaty, and my hands are still sore.

So... not an espresso grinder. Now how do I loosen the locking ring? :evil:
Chris

SpaceTime

#277: Post by SpaceTime »

Chris - thanks for that - the improved feed rate and more aggressive cutting in the drip / press range for the LIDO 2 might make it worth a try. I make FP at least 4-5 times a week, and drip once a week or so, and tools that accommodate that are always a welcome addition to the arsenal. Like I mentioned, I am basically a gear head, and most of my hobbies usually end up in a few more tools than I actually need... hey, but it's fun. :lol:

Personal preference - I never planned on using my LIDO 1 for espresso. I have grinders with Titan burrs for that task already (including a Pharos for my office). Plus, Doug was clear when he designed / built the LIDO 1 that it could make "passable" espresso, but the design is more targeted towards world class drip and press. And the latter it does very nicely. I am more than thrilled on how my LIDO 1 has performed for french press and drip. If in a pinch and wanted a small package for espresso, travelling in the RV, wanted portability,etc then maybe. Let's face it, 38mm burrs would never be the foundation to build my go-to espresso grinder out of. I have tried espresso grind with the LIDO 1, and it was clear it was "passable" but not something I would choose on a full time basis. YMMV. I travel for business and have packed the LIDO 1 on multiple occasions for press.

Thanks for sharing your observations, that helped in me contemplating this one step further.
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

drgary
Team HB

#278: Post by drgary »

Bob_McBob wrote:So... not an espresso grinder. Now how do I loosen the locking ring? :evil:
With opposed jar openers. I showed this in the beta thread. BTW we were able to adjust the LIDO 2 for different espresso machines and pull consistent shots. But like you, two big guys (me and yakster) found grinding for espresso pretty tough.
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary
Team HB

#279: Post by drgary »

Bob_McBob wrote:So... not an espresso grinder. Now how do I loosen the locking ring? :evil:
With non marking, opposed jar openers. I showed this in the beta thread. BTW we were able to adjust the LIDO 2 for different espresso machines and pull consistent shots. But like you, two big guys (me and yakster) found grinding for espresso pretty tough.
Gary
LMWDP#308

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#280: Post by orphanespresso »

"Although the OE LIDO 2 Manual Coffee Grinder is a simple
tool, it does have a learning curve. Most users will invariably
'jam' the rings due to overtightening the locking ring at
some point - usually only once. To unlock the rings, grasp
both rings and turn the entire assembly in whichever
direction it will move. Once you feel the ring pair slip on
the main burr holder thread they will be free to move &
are unlocked. In an extreme case use a non-marking
wooden handle, or mallet & strike the rings sharply on the
side - this will free them up."

You will find this located in the instructions included with the grinder, on the left side of the page, toward the bottom. Or, if you've lost your manual you can find them here (so far, English, Chinese, and Korean):

http://www.oehandgrinders.com/LIDO-2-Op ... _43-1.html

Barb