LIDO 2 Mods - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#61: Post by jbviau »

Ok, I've got a half-decent suggestion for a popper stopper/lid.

While cleaning out the coffee cupboard today, I found a rubber "heat lid" that I'd bought maybe a year ago from Able for use in my Kalita Wave carafe. It's designed for Chemex; here's the link:

http://ablebrewing.com/collections/prod ... for-chemex

Have a look at the second pic shown in Able's gallery for that listing. What I did is trim away the bottom collar and then cut a fairly shallow groove through the bottom middle in order to accommodate that metal crossbar spanning the LIDO 2's funnel handle. The modified lid fits nicely in there (though not perfectly--you have to squish just a touch) and doesn't seem to pop out so far even during vigorous cranking. Furthermore, it weighs next to nothing, and I don't think it looks terrible either.

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Bob_McBob

#62: Post by Bob_McBob »

You guys must be doing some pretty wild grinding. I've probably put 10 lbs through my Lido 2 and seen maybe 4-5 little bits come out of the hopper.
Chris

Advertisement
jbviau
Supporter ★

#63: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Possible, but regardless I've been doing this for a while, and I don't see myself changing my grinding stance/posture/style. Part of it may be that I grind over white tile, so it's hard to miss the inevitable bean fragment escapee.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#64: Post by yakster »

It's probably the little grinder dance you do with grinding the Lido 2 that causes the stray fragment to escape. :D

I've seen a few shards escape on me, but it's so seldom that I'm not sure I'm going to worry about it... I drop more beans weighing them out than I do grinding them.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

beer&mathematics

#65: Post by beer&mathematics »

Seems like John's mod (bostonbuzz) should come stock with the Lido2 as finding a gasket should be cheap. I was looking at the Rosco and it comes with one.

Btw, my Lido 2 has become significantly easier to turn recently so the handle is not so much a problem anymore. It's almost on par with the Lido1, almost. The only part that is a minor issue is now the 0.1g of grinds that gets caught under the grinder that needs to be brushed and/or blown out to clean.
LMWDP #431

beer&mathematics

#66: Post by beer&mathematics »

jbviau wrote:Ok, I've got a half-decent suggestion for a popper stopper/lid.
Nice mod there Josh. I too see an occasional shard shoot out of the grinder so I'll look into making a lid. I wonder if a good looking one could be made of that putty people have been using lately to make funnels :?:
LMWDP #431

jbviau
Supporter ★

#67: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Putty, eh? Interesting. As long as it wouldn't crumble!

About the gasket, I got a bit excited earlier because it turns out that the small (60mm) rubber seals for Weck canning jars are almost exactly the right size if you cut off the tabs. *However*, the seals are too thin; I tried grinding with one in, and it didn't stop ground coffee from accumulating atop the jar lip. I also have tubing I cut to fit that I'll try later, but it's a little thick. To be continued...

Advertisement
jbviau
Supporter ★

#68: Post by jbviau »

jbviau wrote:Ok, I've got a half-decent suggestion for a popper stopper/lid.
I've given up on the modified Able popper stopper (described above) for now because it keeps coming out while I'm grinding. A better solution seems to be this:

It's a silicone baking cup that I bought at Ikea (link) and then cut down to size. Insert upside down and grind away. So far it's much more "stable" than the rubber heat lid was.

Re: the gasket, I'm using some clear vinyl tubing I got at Home Depot in the plumbing section. It's 1/4" OD (8 mm) and .170" ID (5 mm). At first it seemed to be too tight of a fit, but after a day with the jar screwed in the tubing squished down to just about the right size (see below). Unscrewing the jar is now a less messy experience since ground coffee doesn't accumulate atop the jar lip, and the already pretty low retention overall has been reduced to next to nothing.

weebit_nutty

#69: Post by weebit_nutty »

I'm sure some of you might agree with me, but the locking mechanism leaves much to be desired with the LIDO 2.

Whenever I unscrew the jar after grinding, more often then not I tend to unscrew the adjustment collar instead in the process. Getting it back into position and locked tightly is a bit of a PITA. As a dedicated grinder for pour over duty, I basically set-it-and-forget-it and do not want to have to fuss with the setting if I didn't intend to.

Well, today I was shooting a grinding demo and it happened again.. Tired of this, I came up with a mod to address this. In a nut shell, the mod allow me to restore my grinder setting effortlessly in the event it does come lose. It's not intended for anyone that who finds it necessary to dial in the grind all the time. But even so, it's easily reversible.

The mod took about 10 minutes to do, and takes seconds to reverse. You just need a jar of InstaMorph, and optionally a pair of scissors (if you want to trim the stopper ring)

You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

bostonbuzz

#70: Post by bostonbuzz »

Whenever I unscrew the jar after grinding, more often then not I tend to unscrew the adjustment collar instead in the process.
If you hold the plastic body it will unscrew unless you tighten the ***t out of it. Of course, you shouldn't be grabbing that :wink: . Grab the closest bit of metal to the jar (which is the large burr holder) to unscrew the grounds catch. It's impossible to mess up the grind setting like this.
LMWDP #353