LIDO 2 for espresso

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Iseethestars

#1: Post by Iseethestars »

Hello HB people :)
I am expecting a package in monday with Lido 2, so I will get even less dependent on power sources to prepare my espresso (Rossa Air - completely manual too). In the meantime I though I would ask if you have any recommendations about the use of Lido 2 for espresso grinding? Is the scale the is present on the unit fine enough or is it better to slap on a finer divided scale? How wide is the espresso range on the grinder - like half a turn or smaller?
And is there anyone here who uses Lido 2 for turkish style of preparation? So far I did not find a grinder that could grind fine enough for that, but from what I have read Lido looks to be capable of that fine powder grind ...

Thank you

Pavel

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

-----
LMWDP #339

OldNuc

#3: Post by OldNuc »

There will be ZERO ground coffee output regardless of the amount of crank spinning from the grinder until opened up about 6 to 8 divisions from the black zero mark. The Lido-2 is quite capable of reducing coffee to a dust that is probably way too fine for Turkish.

pumpkinscastle

#4: Post by pumpkinscastle »

I am an owner. The Lido 2 is absolutely espresso capable. Very consistent pulls. However, there is no comparison in terms of flavor to real espresso grinders. The Lido 2 shots taste good but they're flat and have little depth. But if I were in a pinch, I'd use the Lido 2 for espresso any day.

Iseethestars (original poster)

#5: Post by Iseethestars (original poster) »

Hi Rich,
great news, I did not think somthing like that is even possible (well both - not having anything ground out even when the crank can be turned freely, that is something I have yet to experience because so far its either locking or grinding the burrs a lot, or having the coffee ground not fine enough for what I consider to be powder :D - But what amazes me even more is if it is possible to grind too fine for turkisch - I always thought its like grind as fine as you can :D )

I currently grind for cezve on the finest seting on Vario (I can hear the burrs grinding each other so I dont do it too often) and then use a mortar for as long as I can withstand and then its sort of fine ..... but not powdery fine :)

Pavel

#6: Post by Iseethestars (original poster) »

Hello Wolfgang,
out of curiosity - where is your imaginary mark where True Espresso grinders start? Just to understand better what is your scale from where you see that.

I plan purchasing HG One for home espresso, I dont want big electric powered grinder if I can avoid it, but I have to say that with Vario (54mm burr - that I consider the start of "espresso usable") and Rossa Air I made some shots that have no match so far to any other shots done on Mazzers and large machines that I have tasted so far. So I would really like to know how large step up I can get from a large burr proper espresso grinder.
Also if you may try to describe a bit more the taste difference and what part of the spectrum gets lost? Really interests me a lot.

Thank you

Pavel

#7: Post by Iseethestars (original poster) »

Hi Dave,
reading through that thread already, long one though :) it will take the time ...
Thank you

Pavel

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#8: Post by orphanespresso »

I usually grind Turkish between 2 & 3 marks from zero...It's slow, but not difficult.
Barb

Boldjava

#9: Post by Boldjava »

Pavel,

Take your time. Tons of good info on the LIDO2 here. I view it as a good sign. Well used, common experiences.

By the way, I use my LIDO2 for espresso (milk drinks/cortados). I am aware that it would not meet all members' standards, as the group is a very demanding and there are better instruments out there. How good an item needs to be is a relative question/response.
-----
LMWDP #339

pumpkinscastle

#10: Post by pumpkinscastle »

Pavel, I have toyed with the following grinders: Mazzer SJ and Major, Doge Conico and HG One. As you an see, I don't have much experience with all the many other grinders out there.

I own the HG one and the SJ. I am sure the Baratzas can deliver, too, but the sheer amount of threads talking about issues with these grinders and praising their customer service made me avoid them. I've never needed customer service on the grinders I've owned. Luckily!

I don't know where espresso grinders "start" but the list of grinders above are all great for espresso in my view.
My simplistic take would be: Long-lived espresso grinders don't utilize plastic parts in the load-bearing compartment and surrounding areas. Period!