LIDO 2 Dosing Funnel Ideas

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

So, since I saw the new Orphan Espresso Lido E with the dosing funnel that screws onto the dosing cup, I've been thinking of how I could do something like this without taking up as much space as the new dosing funnel would in my travel kit. Here's a picture of the new dosing funnel.

I found that my Mypressi Twist 53 mm filter basket fits on top of the catch cup so I tried a regular canning jar band to see if I could get them to mate. The canning jar band doesn't quite thread onto the Lido catch cup, but some bands catch enough and adding a bit of electrical tape would probably take care of this. The problem with this is that the band is too wide and doesn't hold the basket to the cup. I tried some O-Rings I had at home with my Faemina / Gaggia Factory Millennium group basket but found that they'd slip through the band and that these basket lips are smaller and would fall into the catch cup. It was an interesting idea, though, and doesn't take up much room in the travel kit.

As I was thinking about this, I decided to try my Orphan Espresso dosing funnels, the 54 MM basket funnel was too wide for the band to fit over, but then I discovered that the 45 mm dosing funnel that I use with my La Peppina is a friction fit inside the cup, and that it flips over for easy storage under the lid that I screw onto the cup (the grinder is too long to fit in the case I have with the cup on it. This is probably a YMMV thing, I can't say that any 45 mm funnel would fit any OE cup, but it was a fortuitous discovery and I'll be trying this out soon. I just checked the Orphan Espresso site and I don't see this size funnel listed right now.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

You could try a "Joie 29002 Collapsible Funnel" which you can get from amazon(.ca) or eBay or wherever.
They come in different colours, but were/are a no-colour-choice $2.99 Amazon "add-on" item. I suspect that the lime green is not a popular colour :lol: . When you clip the bottom plastic bit off, it looks like this:

The "folds" of the funnel are flexible/stretchable enough for our purposes. The first "step" in from the hard plastic slips snugly over the Lido2 glass jar. I guess that you could cut off the top plastic lip if desired.

With the hard plastic bottom tip of the funnel cut off, the funnel doses into a 49mm basket:

If that fold is cut off, then the next fold would dose into a 58mm:

I actually cut off the plastic tip to fit over the bottom of a Hausgrind, which then fits nice and snug into an Espro Travel press so I can grind directly into the press (and leave the grinder catch cup at home):

Once folded, the funnel will fit almost anywhere:

I can also use the funnel on the Aeropress to have the Aeropress brew directly into the Espro Travel Press (using the Travel Press as a 16 oz travel mug). (There's a Zassenhaus Panama grinder in the Aeropress in the pic.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
leon

#3: Post by leon »

That's a nice travel brewing setup!

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster (original poster) »

That looks good and portable too! I like the lime green, good find.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

weebit_nutty

#5: Post by weebit_nutty »

Dosing solutions seem to me to do the exact opposite of what folks want--to keep things clean and tidy while transferring grounds from one place to another, in using them grounds end up on them and the lip of the jar and funnel, where the grounds crossed. You still end up with loose grounds as you try to clean them off.

The best method Iv'e used is to simply dispense the grounds using by pouring it directly into my filter basket carefully, using the side of my palm to block half of the jar opening to narrow the flow. The grounds that touch my hand fall off easily into the filter basket by simply bumping the side of the catch jar while holding it firmly. No issues, no accessories to deal with.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

weebit_nutty wrote:... The best method Iv'e used is to simply dispense the grounds using by pouring it directly into my filter basket carefully using the side of my palm to block half of the jar opening to narrow the flow. The grounds that touch my hand fall off easily into the filter basket by simply bumping the side of the catch jar while holding it firmly. No issues, no accessories to deal with ...
A funnel obviates the need to be careful, and is also highly desirable where static has been generated - when your method would result in a coffee-covered hand :lol: .

dominico
Team HB

#7: Post by dominico »

How is that collapsible funnel for static clingyness?
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing replying to dominico »

Sorry, I don't know - I haven't used it in winter yet.

weebit_nutty

#9: Post by weebit_nutty »

baldheadracing wrote:A funnel obviates the need to be careful, and is also highly desirable where static has been generated - when your method would result in a coffee-covered hand :lol: .
Good point. I guess I've been fortunate to not have grounds stick to me doing that yet..

On a side note, I just got OE's anti-static plastic catch jar. It's great.. just about the thickest little plastic jar I've ever seen, quite robust. OE did a real good job as a replacement for the flint glass jar. While I did not intend to use it with my Lido 2, only as a container to store a smaller quantity of beans, I figure I'd share with some useful tidbits I discovered while playing with this idea of Lido 2 Dosing...

It just so happens the girth of the plastic catch jar is the same the rim on a 58mm filter basket. So one can just place the filter basket upside down right on top and grip both the filter basket with the jar and flip it over. Give it a little shake and it's perfectly level, no mess... I also found that I could repurpose the top half of a Rolaids pill bottle to as a dosing funnel for smaller baskets, such as my Cremina baskets... and lastly, one last interesting tid bit.. The girth of an Aeropress brewer just so happens to fit perfectly snug into the jar, so if needed you could install the Aeropress (either end fits same), flip and tap briskly to transfer the grounds mess free.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Almico

#10: Post by Almico »

I've been using an Aeropress funnel for my 49mm La Pavoni Pro basket.