LIDO 2 - Broken Screw

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Japheth

#1: Post by Japheth »

Hi all,

I have been using my Lido 2 for about 3 months and recently the screw holding the handle to the shaft broke, and part of the screw is now stuck in the shaft. My handle keep loosening and becoming wobbly every time I use it so I have had to tighten the screw every now and then, and I'm not sure if that caused the break.

So my questions are,

1. Anyone had the wobbly handle issue?
2. How do I extract the bit of screw from the shaft?
3. What screw size do I need to get to replace it?
- Japheth L.

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

Send OE an email. They will help you.

FireBurnDread

#3: Post by FireBurnDread »

Hi Japheth,

fairly new Lido 2 owner here too.
+1 what erik said buy just to answer where I can:
Japheth wrote:1. Anyone had the wobbly handle issue?
2. How do I extract the bit of screw from the shaft?
3. What screw size do I need to get to replace it?
1. Referring to the handle that's attached by a screw to the main center axle. Yes, I do get some wobble too and now that you mention it, it can be reduced by tightening the screw a wee bit. Though the wobble don't affect the burr at all so till now I've left it.

2. Perhaps a screw extractor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_extractor?

3. I remember when last taking it apart that all the screws were of the same dimensions. Briefly, i believe they were 1.5cm in length (total)

Japheth (original poster)

#4: Post by Japheth (original poster) »

erik82 wrote:Send OE an email. They will help you.
Yep I did send them an email 2 days ago. While waiting for their reply I thought I'd ask around here as well.
FireBurnDread wrote:1. Referring to the handle that's attached by a screw to the main center axle. Yes, I do get some wobble too and now that you mention it, it can be reduced by tightening the screw a wee bit. Though the wobble don't affect the burr at all so till now I've left it.

2. Perhaps a screw extractor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_extractor?

3. I remember when last taking it apart that all the screws were of the same dimensions. Briefly, i believe they were 1.5cm in length (total)
Thanks! Will see if I can get the extractor and try to get the broken screw out.

I realised that whenever I use my Lido 2, the handle was always lifted off at a certain angle if the screw was loose; not sure if that could be the cause. I am still using it without the handle secured to the shaft, and can see that tilt clearly. I am afraid the wobble would persist even if I get a new screw in.
- Japheth L.

Oakeshott

#5: Post by Oakeshott »

If you've never extracted a broken screw before, you may not want to try it on your Lido2. Not a lot of wiggle room in there and it's conceivable that you could mess up the threads. See if OE can fix it for you first.

I only had the wobble after I'd disassembled it the first time for cleaning. Tightened it up again and it seems to be holding.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

I have had my Lido2 for a couple months now. The screw on mine has worked itself loose every third or fourth grinding session.

Sorry to hear about your bolt snapping. That is awful to hear. Thanks for sharing - more impetus for me to always carry the tool and check the tightness before every grind!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

kaldi61

#7: Post by kaldi61 »

Sorry to hear that. I haven't had the issue, but manufacturer part variability is like everything else - a bell shaped curve - so for some reason some screw connections don't hold as well as others.

It sounds as if some Lido2 owners who have to intermittently tighten that screw may benefit from a thread locker, like Loctite. otherwise, repeat rotational stress with the loose handle will lead to metal fatigue and potentially a break like Japheth suffered. I will be interested to hear what Doug and Barb say.
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

The (my) bolt had threadlocker on it from the factory. However, I didn't want to put more threadlocker on as it would make future disassembly for cleaning harder.

I am hoping that the screw will stop behaving badly by itself - maybe after I have taught myself to use/hold the Lido2 such that I don't put so much up/down force on the handle while turning. If not, then at some point I will fix it; perhaps by adding a lockwasher or a gasket.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

cuppajoe

#9: Post by cuppajoe »

I've got one of the first batch and have never had that problem, or any other except for the loosening lock ring for the adjuster. Which is a design situation and easily accommodated.

Sounds like a bad batch of screws. I just checked mine to confirm that it's a flat head, which would make it even more unlikely for it to just loosen on i's own, especially if thread locked. What you are describing sounds like the screw is stretching each time it's tightened until point of failure. The more it stretches, the quicker it fails. This usually only happens with soft metal fasteners such as brass, but can also happen due to initial over tightening .

Being a flat head, no real way to add a lock washer. And if it is due to stretching, the washer or gasket would make little difference. Hopefully Doug can weigh in soon. If I had a recent production unit I'd be inclined to just replace the screw with stainless just in case. And if using Loctite, use blue instead of red.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

OldNuc

#10: Post by OldNuc »

Thread locker. The diameter is so small that easy removal of a screw broken off below the level of the top of the shaft is not going to be worth the cost. Shaft replacement is the best option. It is very easy to over torque these screws. Loose handle may be an issue and torquing the screw is not the proper fix. The handle is a tight fit on the shaft and if it is not then that is your problem.