KRUVE coffee sieve system for grind uniformity (Kickstarter)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
canuckcoffeeguy

#1: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

This coffee sieve kickstarter project went live today. We're all familiar with people experimenting with sieves to isolate grind sizes. This one appears to have been specifically designed for coffee prep, and to compensate for wide grind distributions from grinders which don't excel at unimodal grinding.

I personally don't want to add any additional time to my already lab-like espresso or brew prep. But wondering what others think about it.

In full disclosure, I was contacted by the creators to be a beta tester. But I don't have the spare time to test it thoroughly, and I don't foresee myself adding this to my routine, or investing as a backer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ra ... ng-system/

Moderator: Changed "RAFINO" to "KRUVE" to reflect the product's new name.

chrisbodnarphoto

#2: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

It's great to see some local folk creating a unique product!

I'm definitely curious about its daily use, and the difference it makes to the taste in the cup.

I suppose my biggest concern would be wasted coffee ... It looks like a fair amount would be trashed for either being too fine or too course ... Unless you planned on making a few different types of brew at once, would seems a little illogical.

Then again, I'm sure the waste amount would greatly vary based on the grinder used ... If you're already using a high end commercial grinder for the home, I'm sure waste would be much less.

I might jump into the 'barista' offer, just because the cost isn't all that high, and it would be good to have something to go hand-in-hand with our studio hand grinder/Chemex combo!

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

I may be reading too little and looking at the pictures too much, but do they really offer <200 micron sieving with no lower limit for espresso? As in you just get rid of the boulders?
LMWDP #483

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

Thanks for the head's up :) .

Backed the early-bird (400 and 800 micron sieves).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

chipman

#5: Post by chipman »

So what do you do with the ground coffee that doesn't fit into the particular grind category you are looking for? Are you really going to just dispose of it?

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

Scrub your skin or compost it....sounds like tackling a problem from the back end...(not there are many options to tackle the front end, or that we know what particle size distribution works best)

Interesting idea though
LMWDP #483

Shife

#7: Post by Shife »

I went in for the "barista" package. I shopped precision sieves a bit. $90CAD is a bargain for that many screens.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

chipman wrote:So what do you do with the ground coffee that doesn't fit into the particular grind category you are looking for? Are you really going to just dispose of it?
Have you priced bulk grinders lately? :D If I want a better drip grinder, then a Bunnzilla conversion is $500US-$600US depending on the priced of a used G1, and anything 'better' like an EK is thousands of dollars. The price of coffee is small in comparison. Sieving out the boulders and then washing out the fines with cold water or pulling the fines out with paper towels works - whether you like the results is a personal preference, of course - but I find the process tedious.

The price for the sieves seems to be a relative bargain as previously noted. I was thinking of getting the whole set as well, but I think that I would most likely only be using the sieves only for V60 and Espro Press, and (my) flat burr grinders already do a good job on minimizing boulders.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Kipp

#9: Post by Kipp »

See Christopher Hendon's comments today on Barita Hustle's Slack group on general page.

Love his quote:

"sieving poses problems,

polar surfaces whatup"

nickw

#10: Post by nickw »

Imho, it's not the fines which are the biggest problem (as they say in the video), it's the boulders.

Saying fines over extract is - while true - a misleading truth. The outsides cells of the boulders over extract too. As coffee is extracted cell by cell, not particle by particle. Simply removing the fines wont stop the outside cells of every particle from over extracting.

None the less being able to sieve out both the boulders (to be reground) and fines (if needed) can be very useful, and this is exciting to see. Anything which helps us get a more even brew is a good thing.