Krups Conical Burr Grinder - 1st look - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
UltramaticOrange

#61: Post by UltramaticOrange »

FYI, hindsight with this grinder (after seeing the Compak K10 in action) is that it could stand to produce a slightly more fines. Something that I imagine would correct itself as the burrs dull.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

UltramaticOrange

#62: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Thought I'd post that it looks like my Krups has hit its end-life as an espresso grinder. I took it to the Chicago meetup where it was poked and prodded and then failed to perform like it once did. Despite numerous disassembles, reassembles and a solid cleaning, I have not been able to get a proper espresso grind out of it since. It still works very well as a grinder and gives some very nice grinds, but none that don't result in a fast (if not gushing) shot. Needless to say, that was short lived. :(

LaDan

#63: Post by LaDan »

Somebody with iron deficiency experimented with some burr on burr grinding?

EricBNC (original poster)

#64: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

UltramaticOrange wrote:Thought I'd post that it looks like my Krups has hit its end-life as an espresso grinder. I took it to the Chicago meetup where it was poked and prodded and then failed to perform like it once did. Despite numerous disassembles, reassembles and a solid cleaning, I have not been able to get a proper espresso grind out of it since. It still works very well as a grinder and gives some very nice grinds, but none that don't result in a fast (if not gushing) shot. Needless to say, that was short lived. :(
Can you post a photo of the burrs? Each piece by itself and then one showing the bottom with the burrs nested? It would be helpful to see the wear.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

UltramaticOrange

#65: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Grinder has received light use. It'd be pretty bad if the burrs are already worn. Full-sized images can be viewed here. HB size in the "spoiler" below.

Spoiler: show

LaDan

#66: Post by LaDan »

UltramaticOrange wrote:Grinder has received light use. It'd be pretty bad if the burrs are already worn. Full-sized images can be viewed here. HB size in the "spoiler" below.
I've got a feeling that Eric is going to ask you for this, again. "Each piece by itself and then one showing the bottom with the burrs nested? It would be helpful to see the wear." ... I wanted to see that too.

Look at the bottom of the burr. At picture 0579, at the 11 o'clock portion. You can clearly see that large holes/gaps that had created because of, what I suspected in my previous post, burr on burr grinding. Those little triangular holes are the minimum size grinds you can get, aside from fines due to particle on particle crashing.

That's why we wanted to see the bottom of the inner burr as well, and when they are nested together like Eric asked. Can you do take those pictures? Make one with the 'holes' of the two burrs aligned, and one with the holes against the flat portion of the bottom of the burrs. Then you/we can see the maximum size of gap when the burrs are at "zero" (hole aligned with hole), and the minimum gap when the burrs are at zero (hole aligned with the flat portion).

Then if we can see same picture for a comparison, of a good pair of burrs, we'll know exactly and with confidence what is the problem, and if someone ruined your burrs.

EDIT: I'm talking about these triangle holes/gaps:

#67: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

It is hard to see much difference in the photos - here is a side by side comparison of my burrs when brand new on the left and your burr image on the right:

LMWDP #378

LaDan

#68: Post by LaDan »

EricBNC wrote:It is hard to see much difference in the photos - here is a side by side comparison of my burrs when brand new on the left and your burr image on the right:

<image>
There IS a clear difference. Look at the (going to apologize in advance for my lack of words to describe, but..) size and area that the shiny triangles take on your new burrs and his. Yours, the shiny polished triangles on the ribs of the burrs don't reach the end of the rib. His, reach all the way to the end and over. His are grounded down to cover all the profile of the rib. Yours, are polished and grounded down to cover about two thirds of the profile of the rib. The part where the rib ends at the bottom of the burr is intact in yours. His, are ground beyond that point, and are creating a "hole" or a "gap" in a shape of a triangle. (see my picture in the previous post).

#69: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

Here is another view:

Please note - I am not trying to dispute Alastair's claim - am only trying to post comparison photos to add clarity. I put mine together once and thought the grinder was incapable of fine grinding as well but after re-aligning the results returned to normal. I can't tell much difference in the burrs - if others can then glory to young eyes.
LMWDP #378

mad_machinist

#70: Post by mad_machinist »

UltramaticOrange wrote:Thought I'd post that it looks like my Krups has hit its end-life as an espresso grinder. I took it to the Chicago meetup where it was poked and prodded and then failed to perform like it once did. Despite numerous disassembles, reassembles and a solid cleaning, I have not been able to get a proper espresso grind out of it since. It still works very well as a grinder and gives some very nice grinds, but none that don't result in a fast (if not gushing) shot. Needless to say, that was short lived. :(

In germany this grinder is sold as graef cm80. I regularly read about complains that it doesn't grind fine enough after cleaning and reassembling and very often the error is improper reassembling. Did you align the marks alright (aluminium-ring to case and grind-ring to aluminium-ring)?

Did anybody try to grind without the steps? I guess it would need another kind of interlock so it doesn't turn because of the vibration?