Krups Conical Burr Grinder - 1st look - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LaDan

#41: Post by LaDan »

EricBNC wrote:I posted a pic a while ago on CG of coarse grounds - not the best but here is the photo:

<image>
Oh thanks, Eric. I didn't check CG.

But how was the taste? Or did you give a taste impressions on CG too?

Guess I'm going to check over there. ;) But if you can just give a short answer, I'll appreciate! Thanks.

EricBNC (original poster)

#42: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

Hi La Dan, I made a small pot of coffee with the coarse grinds using a SwissGold filter but did not try coarse grounds in a press pot. I can't remember anything remarkable (good or bad) compared to other grinders in this price range. I quickly modified the Krups Conical to grind finer for espresso (my reason for purchasing) at the expense of some coarse settings since I already have decent grinders for coarse grounds.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

LaDan

#43: Post by LaDan »

Thanks Eric.

I saw that people compared it to the entry level Baratza. Do you know how would the Krups compare to the Baratza Maestro Plus? There's only about $30 difference between the two, but I wouldn't know which of these two does a better grinding job? Either for coarse or espresso grind, do you have a hunch about this?

#44: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

I know from experience with my Maestro that it is adequate for press grinding but not for espresso long term - I tried grinding espresso fine once and it did not sound right so I aborted mid-attempt. Maybe I was doing something wrong. At the time it was all I had and the fear of ruining it trumped my curiosity.

The burr carrier feels more stable (no wobble) on the Krups Conical which might explain why it can grind fine enough for espresso.
LMWDP #378

cafeIKE

#45: Post by cafeIKE »

Bought one for Drip & FP. Grind quality excellent, minimal fines. Very clean FP cup.
Static terrible. Covers face of grinder and counter with chaffe and coffee.
Unacceptable to the missus.
Krups support experienced same issue. No solution other than return to vendor.

LaDan

#46: Post by LaDan »

I wonder, is the reason for static on grinders is due to plastic body coverings, or something inside the grinders.

NaGR

#47: Post by NaGR »

EricBNC wrote:I posted a pic a while ago on CG of coarse grounds - not the best but here is the photo:

<image>
I went ahead and did a coarse grind on my EU graef version.
it doesn't look as coarse.
your modified fine is finer than mine (non modified) and your coarse, coarser than mine.
I'm seeing some signs of different thread pitch of the burr carrier.

#48: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:Bought one for Drip & FP. Grind quality excellent, minimal fines. Very clean FP cup.
Static terrible. Covers face of grinder and counter with chaffe and coffee.
Unacceptable to the missus.
Krups support experienced same issue. No solution other than return to vendor.
I think my house is a relatively low static environment - we use radiant heat so the air remains moist compared to a house using a heat pump.

That said, I got a bit of static too until I ditched the rubber nose for the spout - not sure why it creates static, but for me it did.
LMWDP #378

cafeIKE

#49: Post by cafeIKE »

removing the rubber spout ends the static issue :shock:

UltramaticOrange

#50: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Thought this might be useful for anyone considering this grinder. The original, paper thin washer and my replacement. Note that I'm using a 1mm thick washer. 1/2mm thick is likely more than enough for getting good espresso grinds.

If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?