Krups Conical Burr Grinder - 1st look - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
EricBNC (original poster)

#21: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

I hope their marketing gets the item listed on the web site - it does cause confusion -The curse of large scale global success I guess.

I am tempted to take wire cutters to the finger guard - It gets in the way of a relatively nice sloped chute design which causes most of the retention issues. Still need to adjust the shims too, but this grinder is something I would have no problem recommending for someone looking for espresso on a budget or wanting a nice looking second grinder for decaf espresso or pour over/drip coffee.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

Mark08859

#22: Post by Mark08859 »

EricBNC wrote:
Is that a Bodum Assam glass or something else? Looks nice!

Advertisement

#23: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

Yes - that is the Bodum Assam. Someone on Coffeegeek was in collection reduction mode and offered many items for the cost of shipping only. I received this glass, two Bodum Canteen glasses, and a glass Nespresso espresso cup with a black saucer.

I am using the Assam as my every day shot glass now - I like it. :D
LMWDP #378

sleepdance

#24: Post by sleepdance »

Awesome review of an interesting grinder. Thanks for all of your work.

I'm currently using a Rancilio Rocky, and am unhappy with it. I've had a Super Jolly and Nemox Lux, and was most happy with the Lux. Have you had any of these grinders, and if so, how does the Krups compare?

#25: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

I have used grinders similar to the Lux and have experience with the Super Jolly too - the Krups is closer to the Lux in the cup for espresso with regard to the flavor profile.

I would prefer the Super Jolly for espresso if cost was not an issue but for other methods of prep the Krups might be better suited - I find the grounds to be consistent when this conical grinder is set for drip or press pot.
LMWDP #378

TitoM

#26: Post by TitoM »

Tried out the Krups and it works well with my Cremina. I used a (thin) spacer, emptied the retained grinds as much as I could, used setting #3, updosed between 17-18g and a light tamp (OE slapshot). The grinds can be a clumpy so it's best to WDT but for this video I didn't do that.
Thanks for bringing this grinder to our attention, Eric!
LMWDP #373

UltramaticOrange

#27: Post by UltramaticOrange »

I've looking for something at this price point that would be easy to modify to get a nice grind. Think I'll be plunking down the cash on one of these this weekend.

Noticed Amazon lists the height as 10.2in -- I don't think they're counting the hopper. Any word on how tall it sits? Don't think it's going to fit under my cabinets with the stock hopper.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

Advertisement

#28: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

The dimensions are (L x W x H) 132 mm x 230 mm x 385 mm, 5 1/5th inches x 9 inches x 15 1/6th inches. Amazon must not be including the hopper.
LMWDP #378

UltramaticOrange

#29: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Using the base as an approximate scale, I guessed it was somewhere between 16 to 20 inches tall. Neither of those would have fit. However, Just over 15in fits like it was meant to be. Thanks!
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

gumdad

#30: Post by gumdad »

Eric,

Does the grinder come with the washers/spacers shown in the link? I thought you showed on coffeegeek that you made them out of foil. If they didn't come with the machine, did you find it at a hardware store? If so, how thick was the washer? If you made it with tinfoil, how many layers did it take to get the desired grind?

Thanks,
Keith
I did have to create a spacer to gain enough range to grind fine enough for espresso - Krups doesn't offer any information online but the Sunbeam pdf (from the manufacturer - not a mod) I found on Coffeesnobs.au shows how to install these and it took all of five minutes tops to complete. here is a link to the file:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/attachments/E..._Guide.PDF