Kenia Grinder Adjustment Broken.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Intrepid510

#1: Post by Intrepid510 »

I was given a Kenia grinder that is unable to adjust, it runs well otherwise and the cause appears to be straightforward.

However, I am a little puzzled on how to go about fixing it. Taking a look at the grinder diagram from the Mahlkoing website it appears the part that goes between the front grinder adjustment and the pre breaker broke off into it. I am assuming this is because you need a proprietary tool to remove it and someone along the way lost it and tried to remove it without the part.

Picture shown below, if anyone has a suggest on how to go about remove it that would be great. Just a picture of the grinder adjustment exploded out like the diagram and one of the tool, would probably help me a lot to conceptualize what I need to do to remove it. Thanks for any advice.

Only nice part is that it's stuck at fine drip and appears to do a very good job at that!

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

It looks like the shear disk is broken or not in position. The shear disk goes in the slots in the inner rod and outer ring and it's designed to break if you get a rock in your burrs to prevent damage to the grinder. The outer burr should not spin without the shear disk in place, but there may be enough coffee gunk built up that it grinds without the shear disk. I can't imagine how the adjustment would mount on the grinder with the shear disk moved out of the way like this, but maybe you don't have the cap that fits over this and adjusts the grinder.

It looks very similar to the Grindmaster design, see this Grindmaster manual here for a comparison. I've got a Grindmaster 890 that I picked up at a thrift store but I've been unable to remove the outer burr for a cleaning / inspection.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Intrepid510 (original poster)

#3: Post by Intrepid510 (original poster) »

Thanks Chris, I think you are right with your assessment of what happened. Sent an inquiry to Mahlkoing, so we will see what the price will be to get it back going.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

I recently picked up a Bunn G2 and it was a bear to get the front burr carrier off. Turned out that the shear pin had raised a small burr on the shaft. I put two long bolts in the extra set of holes and used them as handles to push the burr carried in and out, about 50 times and I finally got it off. Once I took a stone and took off the burrs on the edges of the slot in the motor shaft and shear pin slot it all started working as expected. I was worried about what I might do to the motor bearings but they seem to have survived. In hind site I probably could have put a strap between those 2 bolts and made a puller. I thought about putting vegetable oil in there and it probably would have been a good idea. I assume it made a small groove in the brass bushing in the burr carrier.

Ira

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

Intrepid510 wrote:Thanks Chris, I think you are right with your assessment of what happened. Sent an inquiry to Mahlkoing, so we will see what the price will be to get it back going.

When I rebuilt my Kenia, I noticed how frail that insert is. My Kenia had sat in a storage facility for close to 30 years before I bought it and it was put away uncleaned, so the old stale coffee oils had morphed the shear disk into a flaky, crumbly mess. I think the Mahlkonig guy here in Santa Cruz can get pretty much anything you need for it.

They're pretty awesome grinders. I still slightly regret selling mine.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

Aha, I think it is a burr on the end of the shaft that's keeping me from removing the outer burr. I might be able to clean it up in place through the slot and pull this burr off. I tried pry bars and straps and no go. Here's some photos of my Grindmaster that help explain how things work. Mine was converted from using a shear disk to a shear pin, or always used a shear pin. The outer burr slips over the drive shaft and the shear disk or pin is what transfers the force of the spinning shaft to the outer burrs. A metal cap fits over this pair and provides a mating surface for the adjustment pin that extends and retracts to move the inner burr inward or outward. My grinder has a spring which acts to push the outer burr away from the inner burr, and I think it helps auger the beans in too. You can see where the push rod on the grinder adjustment has touched the cap and changed it's appearance.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Intrepid510 (original poster)

#7: Post by Intrepid510 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for your replies, in addition the Mahlkonig rep directed me to the videos in the Guatemala product page that were very helpful as well. For whatever reason I did not think to look under it's page for the trouble shooting videos.

http://www.mahlkoenig.com/us_products/Guatemala.html

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

Nice videos, I already tried the large screwdriver trick on my Grindmaster, the front burr does slide in and out fine, but just gets hung up when it hits the burred up end of the shaft that I'll need to clean up to slide it off.

Now that I know what the problem is, it shouldn't be too hard to get that burr off.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272