Kafatek Flat Burr Monolith Grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

The upcoming Kafatek 80mm 75mm Flat Burr Monolith recently got revealed on Instagram. Looks counter friendly and streamlined. For sake of discussion, it deserves it's own thread separate from the conical Monolith. I imagine it will be equally popular or maybe more-so given that flat burrs really are taking a dominant role in the market nowadays.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

canuckcoffeeguy

#2: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Just saw this on Kafatek's Instagram feed. Denis is presenting people with twin first world problems: Mmmm... Which one to buy? The flat or conical! We're in a fine time for grinder innovation.

Beezer

#3: Post by Beezer »

Looks amazing! Interesting that he went with the tilted angle for the flat burr but not the conical. I'm sure there's a reason, but not sure what it is. I sort of prefer the classic upright look of the conical one. More, er, monolithic.

Any word on price for the flat burr yet?
Lock and load!

day

#4: Post by day »

Wow, despite the small scale, this looks like a serious challenger to the eg-1!
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

chrisbodnarphoto

#5: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

Tom - any cbance you'll be able to snag one of these and do a head-to-head with the EG-1?

Either way, competition is great, and keeps everyone on their toes! I'm sure this grinder will definitely be promising and sell well, despite its more ... Errr ... Industrial look? ... Compared to the cleanliness of the EG-1.

I know they're most likely aimed at different markets, as well. The Monolith at the home and the EG-1 at the commercial side.

canuckcoffeeguy

#6: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Beezer wrote:Looks amazing! Interesting that he went with the tilted angle for the flat burr but not the conical. I'm sure there's a reason, but not sure what it is. I sort of prefer the classic upright look of the conical one. More, er, monolithic.
I think because conicals require a vertical grind path. Gravity basically feeds the beans downward for conicals. (HG-1, M3, Sette)

Whereas flats throw grinds outwards via centrifugal force. So you can mount them differently (EG-1, Mythos)

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC (original poster) »

chrisbodnarphoto wrote:Tom - any cbance you'll be able to snag one of these and do a head-to-head with the EG-1?

Either way, competition is great, and keeps everyone on their toes! I'm sure this grinder will definitely be promising and sell well, despite its more ... Errr ... Industrial look? ... Compared to the cleanliness of the EG-1.

I know they're most likely aimed at different markets, as well. The Monolith at the home and the EG-1 at the commercial side.

I wasn't intending to. I have 6 titan flat burr grinders sitting here as it is already (not counting the titan conicals). Although I don't need another one, I'm sure others will be interested in seeing a comparison. I think the line between commercial and hobbyist use is very blurry grey. Lot's of overlap. There's a lot or ergonomic and feature laden qualities the EG-1 has that the Monolith lacks, but the price difference is certainly nothing to sneeze at. I imagine there's plenty of room in the sandbox for both. I do love Denis' wooden cap, I think it adds a beautiful touch to the whole thing. But I'm not wild about the engraved top plate. I'm quite the minimalist and personally can't stand staring at labels of any kind. But to each, his own.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

ds

#8: Post by ds »

I see web page for Monolith Flat is up now as well.

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by dumpshot »

Deposit in. This is just what I have been waiting for.

Pete :D
LMWDP #484

AndreG
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by AndreG »

Same here, the deposit is in also. I was surprised by the design and how quickly I do have some réservations but answers to some specific needs like counter frendly, single dosing but no handle holder.