K.I.S.S when it comes to grinders

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cai42
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by cai42 »

Greetings,

Mazzer= 2 controls. On-off switch and one adjustable metal ring.
New kid on the block= 7 assorted buttons and levers.

Why is more better?

Cliff

Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

Men like levers and buttons and mechanical stuff. Preferably noisy things with lots of bolts and steel and smoke that don't try to blend in with other stuff. Compare for instance a macbook pro (girly) and the Thinkpad W700DS (manly).
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Advertisement
ddr

#3: Post by ddr »

I am glad you were wrong on both the computer and grinder Bluecold. Mac's and Mazzer's are both manly.
Dan
LMWDP #242

Bluecold

#4: Post by Bluecold »

At least my post contained argumentation.
Also, i never said mazzers weren't manly. Mazzers are made for grinding coffee, and coffee is manly. Also, mazzers score man-points with sheer power.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

RegulatorJohnson

#5: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

PC's are for fart huffers and macs get you laid.
jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

Bluecold

#6: Post by Bluecold »

Thanks Jon for the support in stating that girls like macs.
LMWDP #232

tribe3

#7: Post by tribe3 »

Or how a Mazzer vs Baratza grinders turned into a PC vs Mac thread :roll: Mac Pro is manly.

Advertisement
bgn

#8: Post by bgn »

What is "new kid on the block"? The Vario? I have a mazzer mini and I like it. But I should not have watched the Mahlkonig (sp?) video on their Vario and K-30. Very, very cool. Tempts me to plan a family vacation around the Bay area.

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

cai42 wrote:Mazzer= 2 controls. On-off switch and one adjustable metal ring.
New kid on the block= 7 assorted buttons and levers.

Why is more better?
More is sometimes better, sometimes it's just different.

In terms of market segmentation, the new kid on the block was clearly designed with home enthusiasts in mind. Mazzer designed the Mini as a cafe secondary grinder; years later, home enthusiasts discovered it worked better than the typical consumer grinder. It would be interesting to see what Mazzer would create today if they started with a blank sheet of paper and home enthusiasts in mind. I bet their grinder would have the Baratza Vario's form factor, less buttons, and more metal. And probably 2x the price.
Dan Kehn

shadowfax

#10: Post by shadowfax »

HB wrote:It would be interesting to see what Mazzer would create today if they started with a blank sheet of paper and home enthusiasts in mind. I bet their grinder would have the Baratza Vario's form factor, less buttons, and more metal. And probably 2x the price.
. . .

:shock: How did you know?

All the way down to the "double your money" part. It's like you're a psychic!

On Macs: When it comes to computers, it doesn't get any more manly than Unix. And Mac OS X is Unix 03 certified; It doesn't get much more real than that. Underneath all the silly hipster T-Shirt one finds the six-pack of the software world. The manliest thing on a PC is running Linux. The next best thing is a PuTtY ssh session to a Linux machine. That is all.*

* Please take this in jest. I meant it in good fun. Mostly.
Nicholas Lundgaard