Is this kind of burrs misalignment in my Quito normal?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bringyoutomyhell

#1: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

I haven't tried it yet but the difference seems so big that I would just return it... but it's my first grinder so I don't know.

When the burrs touches on one side, on the other one there's like 1 millimeter of space. Moreover from the top you can clearly see the burrs aren't aligned. It's not really supposed to be like that isn't it?

Thanks!

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

It looks similar to the poor burr alignment from the first gen Comandantes.

Owner experience with Comandante C40
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

bringyoutomyhell wrote:I haven't tried it yet but the difference seems so big that I would just return it... but it's my first grinder so I don't know.

When the burrs touches on one side, on the other one there's like 1 millimeter of space. Moreover from the top you can clearly see the burrs aren't aligned. It's not really supposed to be like that isn't it?

Thanks!
The adjuster design of that Zass and similar models of the same adjuster design means that the grinder won't (can't) show alignment unless there is coffee in the burrs. You can "change" the perceived alignment of the grinder when it is empty by just by rocking and fiddling with the burr and the adjuster.

So yes, what you are seeing is "normal" - for that Zass grinder mechanism.

However, whether one wants to put up with the (essentially) single-bearing grinder design used in this price range and its flaws is an entirely different question. It is a value judgement:

Here in Canada, a Zass Quito sells for about 1/3 the price of a known-great-performing hand grinder like the Lido or the Hausgrind/Feldgrind - and one can't expect the same precision/quality/etc. at the much lower price point. OTOH, the Zass is about twice the price of a Hario Skerton, and about 20% more than a Porlex. I felt that my Zass Panama - which has the same grinder mechanism as the Quito - produced Aeropress coffee that was clearly superior to the Porlex that I had, and pretty close to my Lido2 and Hausgrind - but just for the fine drip grind that I use for Aeropress. For coarser grinds like for French Press, the Lido2/Hausgrind were easily better in the cup. You pay your money and you make your choice ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

bringyoutomyhell (original poster)

#4: Post by bringyoutomyhell (original poster) »

Thank you both, I read all that thread (I think I already read bits of it some time ago, but not integrally, and only looking at those photos now I realized that the Quito is EXACTLY the same, also the insides. Maybe the burr is different, but everything else is absolutely the same, blue curved ring, plastic etc.).

So basically mine is like a MKI Comandante. Maybe it will "self-center" itself when grinding, I'll have to try... but if I were to change it... what to? In Italy everything is very hard to find, I know a Lido would be far better, but in case of a warranty problem I still would have to pay for shipping and in general it would be a hassle. I'll probably stick to something available on Amazon. And not hand grinders, as there are just Hario's and Porlex beside the Zasses.

So probably a LeLit PL043MMI or Demoka GR203, my budget is under 200€ and I'll mostly use it for moka and V60 and Kalita. Graef's price is increasing so they are out. I also ruled out Solis 166, that is cheap but probably not good enough. Baratza's too are not distributed here. So hard..

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

Eureka Mignon / Nuova Simonelli MCF?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

wsfarrell

#6: Post by wsfarrell »

I understand your concerns about shipping a grinder back for warranty work, but

(a) I've never heard of a Hausgrind or Feldgrind that had warranty issues requiring return;
(b) the occasional Lido that gets sent back is often because an OCD user took it apart to try and eliminate burr rub at 1/64 turns from 0.

Problems can arise of ourse, but these two hand grinders are very well built.

#7: Post by bringyoutomyhell (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:Eureka Mignon / Nuova Simonelli MCF?
Thanks, the Mignon looks very nice but sadly it's out of budget, the MCF is reachable, but looks like it's geared toward espresso and bigger grind batches, I usually do 15gr at a time..

#8: Post by bringyoutomyhell (original poster) »

wsfarrell wrote:I understand your concerns about shipping a grinder back for warranty work, but

(a) I've never heard of a Hausgrind or Feldgrind that had warranty issues requiring return;
(b) the occasional Lido that gets sent back is often because an OCD user took it apart to try and eliminate burr rub at 1/64 turns from 0.

Problems can arise of ourse, but these two hand grinders are very well built.
Yep, maybe I am a bit too wary. I'll consider higher end hand grinders, I'll discovered a ton just reading the latest thread here. Still haven't made up my mind yet... thanks all btw :o

CoffeeBar

#9: Post by CoffeeBar »

You may consider Helor 101 :D
User Experience: Helor 101 Hand Grinder

#10: Post by bringyoutomyhell (original poster) replying to CoffeeBar »

Yes that was one is just discovered yesterday night =) the design concept looks similar to the Quito/Comandante, but much stronger and better built, interesting