Is this grinder a Faema A6?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
recdotcoffeedothack

#1: Post by recdotcoffeedothack »

HB wrote:You're right, the A3 does have a lot in common with the Isomac Mondiale (below) like the center-weighted toggles, rotary pump, plumbed driptray, and E61 group.

... A bit off topic, but is the grinder pictured a Faema A6? I have the same grinder here, albeit in it's factory colour - mil spec olive green.

Having never used another commercial grinder, I'd be appreciative of a very quick assessment of how this unit compares with its more fashionable competitors like the mazzers etc.

Thanks,
g

beta14ok

#2: Post by beta14ok »

Hi rec',

Yep....it's a Faema, but it's a S6. The "A" indicated automatic and the "S" indicates semi-automatic....it doesn't have the trick shut-off like the automatic. This one used to be factory maroon, but I re-painted it to go with the kitchen in a kinder manner. What to say....these are fabulous, powerful grinders! I'd put it up against any Mazzer except the Robur...I've used the Super Jolly .......and the Faema motor and burr's will take-it-on. The only down side to the Faema over the Mazzer is that the stock Faema has fixed burr settings (those little teeth along the base of the top-burr-housing) as opposed to the continuous settings. Accordingly, the Mazzer has more adjustable grind than the Stock Faema, and that's sometimes a nice thing. I have thought about modifying the burr-housing by removing the existing tooth-lock and installing a top-down locking mechanism for the housing, but I never got around to it. I'm makin' some pretty fine "coffee" without the mod'! I also have one of the "ex'buck" $120 Super Jollys currently in some stage of refurbishment, so I'm doing fine in the grinder department.

Personally.....I wouldn't dream of selling the Faema just to purchase the Mazzer! But if I didn't already have the Faema......I'd buy a Mazzer.

Regards,
dmm