Initial grind setting for Profitec T64 grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GeorgeM

#1: Post by GeorgeM »

Hi All,

We just purchased a Profitec Pro 700 and the T64 Grinder. I'm curious as to what numerical setting most people find that they are using to get the optimum shot. I think that we're at about 8 which is much higher than I thought.

Anybody else?

George

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

Grinders aren't typically calibrated the same and are all different, someone else may need a 13 to get similar results as your 8. Makes new grinder fun :), people regularly go through several pounds of beans with new grinder to get it dialed in. Also, new grinders are finicky until the burrs are broken in, won't likely start seeing optimal results until after 20-30 pounds.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Comparing your grind setting against other owners' zero point will be more meaningful since the numbers are not always the same unit to unit. For example, Mazzer adds a "Start Here" sticker post-assembly for that reason. To find the zero point, empty the hopper and chamber, then run the motor while slowly turning the adjustment finer. Eventually the burrs will contact and "chirp". That's the zero point. Assuming your T64 is like other 64mm grinders I've used, the espresso zone will be 1/4 to 1/2 turn coarser from that point. If you're concerned about the burrs touching, refer to Grinder burrs touching is the "kiss of death"? for an explanation of why there's no need to worry.

While I'm handing out free links, also see Fine tuning grinder setting with minimum waste; the "feel" technique is demonstrated in Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Grinders.
Dan Kehn

spearfish25

#4: Post by spearfish25 »

Suppose it doesn't matter as long as you have room to adjust either way.

GeorgeM (original poster)

#5: Post by GeorgeM (original poster) »

Wow. Ok! We're definitely learning - so I appreciate the advice. I have to say, I'm certainly caffeinated these days!

borisblank

#6: Post by borisblank »

GeorgeM wrote:I have to say, I'm certainly caffeinated these days!
Tasting without drinking will save you some jitters!

GeorgeM (original poster)

#7: Post by GeorgeM (original poster) replying to borisblank »

Agreed - I didn't think that I'd get to that - feel like I'm in Napa valley - but essential when you're trying to get things going the first time.

George

teamacacia

#8: Post by teamacacia »

GeorgeM wrote:Agreed - I didn't think that I'd get to that - feel like I'm in Napa valley - but essential when you're trying to get things going the first time.

George
George, how is the grinder working out? I am planning on picking up a Profitec 300 or 700 plus the grinder in the next month or so.
-Doc Todd

thecatch83

#9: Post by thecatch83 »

I have read that some people are bashing the pro T64, but what other sub $1k grinder offers 450 watts, 64 mm burrs? It utilizes a worm drive adjustment similar to Macap (which I love), and if you watch the videos, there is almost zero clumping and the grinds dose directly into the PF with minimal spillover. The Gicar PID is a nice touch as well, and replacement parts are abundant.

caldwa

#10: Post by caldwa replying to thecatch83 »

If I wasn't buying the new Baratza Sette 270W - the pro T64 would likely be my grinder of choice. Love the simple, well-constructed design and big features in a small footprint.