How's your Mahlgut MG-1 grinder alignment and experiences?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Tonefish

#1: Post by Tonefish »

I recently got my hands on a Mahlgut MG-1 grinder and I'm curious about its alignment. If I adjust the burrs towards closure, I get first burr contact at -1.5 on the MG-1 scale. This contact occurs over a relatively small fraction of the rotation. Then I get burr lock at -3.5 on the MG-1 scale. So this gives a relative measure using the MG-1 scale units of 2.0 (which is 4 marks) between first burr contact and burr lock. How does this compare with your MG-1?

I expect there will be differences in where the first contact (true-zero) occurs from unit to unit despite Mahlgut's intention to have comparable scale readings between units. Since these are hand made there will also be variation in this measure of alignment between units. Incidentally, if you don't believe this is an appropriate measure of alignment, please say so, and if you have a better way I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I found lots of great information in the "Mahlgut grinder (Kind of Pharos-sh)" thread and I really appreciate that information and history, so THANK YOU ALL for that! There is also a more recent grind settings thread, but I haven't seen or heard much else about these grists since then, so I'm curious about how it's going with your MG-1 too. I'm really enjoying mine and it's making good espresso for me now that I've got it on granite tiles. :wink:

If so inclined, please share your alignment measures and/or MG-1 experiences.

Thank You and Happy Pulls (or button pushes)! :D
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

The plates on mine were concave enough that if I tightened the posts on one plate before putting everything together I couldn't assemble it. I had to put it all together loose and then tighten evenly to even hope for alignment. They eventually gave up trying to make it right and took it back. Maybe it was the only one like that or maybe not.

Ira

Tonefish (original poster)

#3: Post by Tonefish (original poster) replying to ira »

Hi Ira, Yeah, concave plates could be a real issue given the upper bearing/bushing and outer burr are tied directly to them. Hopefully not a common occurrence. Sounds like their customer service ended up doing you right.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira replying to Tonefish »

I certainly didn't feel that way. I think they tired of fixing all the problems I found. I'm still out the shipping and so I don't really feel they treated me right. I don't think they believed the plates were concave, but my Etalon mic doesn't lie. If I was guessing, I'd guess it happened when they were doing the brush finish so who knows if mine was the only one.

Ira

#5: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

Sorry Ira, doesn't sound like much fun at all.

bradenl123

#6: Post by bradenl123 »

Tonefish,

I haven't tried to see when burrs lock. I will do that tomorrow and let you know. Anyways, I love the Mahlgut. I am getting new suction cups from Amazon...these ones here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HL ... UTF8&psc=1 because grinding lighter beans is quite a challenge although being 25 and working out consistently makes it a bit easier. Quite frankly, I rather enjoy it. I have to put in some work to get a shot. My espresso range is 4.5-6.5 but have found 6.5 for the past couple beans to work quite well. I know other users are different. Overall, I am quite happy considering I got mine for 365$ which was a steal since it had about 15lbs put through it.

Braden

spressomon

#7: Post by spressomon »

Having been the "author" of the original Mahlgut Grist MG-1 Group Buy I can attest to a couple units that arrived in defective/ill properly assembled and/or machined condition. Dealing with Mahlgut has been a challenge.

Now for the good news: If you get a good MG-1, it is capable of precise grinding on par with the best grinders I've used and owned/own. The upper bronze bushing on my MG-1, after a couple years of daily hard use, has finally developed a little play. I have not been able to source the bushing from Mahlgut but it appears to be source-able from McMaster.com stateside.

If you add the hold down screws I have done to mine in addition to the Able2 friction pad and a piece of granite you can grind the lightest beans without issue. In fact, I can grind medium and darker roasts using only one hand to crank ...

All things considered it is an incredible grinder for which I would not want to be without. Too bad they stopped production.
No Espresso = Depresso

#8: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

bradenl123 wrote:Tonefish,

I haven't tried to see when burrs lock. I will do that tomorrow and let you know. Anyways, I love the Mahlgut. I am getting new suction cups from Amazon...these ones here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HL ... UTF8&psc=1 because grinding lighter beans is quite a challenge although being 25 and working out consistently makes it a bit easier. Quite frankly, I rather enjoy it. I have to put in some work to get a shot. My espresso range is 4.5-6.5 but have found 6.5 for the past couple beans to work quite well. I know other users are different. Overall, I am quite happy considering I got mine for 365$ which was a steal since it had about 15lbs put through it.

Braden

Good find on the suction cups. That's half what I paid to order some from the UK. That's about my espresso range too. Curious to hear when your first contact and lock occur. Thanks!

#9: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

spressomon wrote:Having been the "author" of the original Mahlgut Grist MG-1 Group Buy I can attest to a couple units that arrived in defective/ill properly assembled and/or machined condition. Dealing with Mahlgut has been a challenge.

Now for the good news: If you get a good MG-1, it is capable of precise grinding on par with the best grinders I've used and owned/own. The upper bronze bushing on my MG-1, after a couple years of daily hard use, has finally developed a little play. I have not been able to source the bushing from Mahlgut but it appears to be source-able from McMaster.com stateside.

If you add the hold down screws I have done to mine in addition to the Able2 friction pad and a piece of granite you can grind the lightest beans without issue. In fact, I can grind medium and darker roasts using only one hand to crank ...

All things considered it is an incredible grinder for which I would not want to be without. Too bad they stopped production.
Hi Dan, just curious, how many came over in the group buy? I emailed Mahlgut with a burr question weeks ago and never heard back. You'd think if the American grinder market were important to them they'd be more responsive. Maybe they're just too busy designing better things. If you do find a bushing source here, please post. I got clued into the granite/Able2 mat on the other thread. Great solution!
Thanks for responding!

bradenl123

#10: Post by bradenl123 »

So this is my first legitimate grinder and my first manual. I am not exactly sure when my burrs start rubbing / touching and when they are locked. I got mine down to -4 and if I tried to move it with some strength it would go but if I attempted to move it with very little strength it wouldn't. When I am at 0 it feels like they are touching but I cannot tell. It still has a smooth turn. What indicates burr rub? While turning it would it bounce a bit or not be smooth? I have contacted Mahlgut a few times and every time they have responded quickly. Quite frankly, they have responded much faster than when I have emailed Kinu. I asked about the MG-1s and what would be available for the MG-1 and they said the handle and the new pointer thing. It is possible they are very busy with the Mola but I have never not heard from them.

Braden