How to Tame a Messy Mazzer Doser

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
AndyS

#1: Post by AndyS »

Mazzer grinders work wonderfully, but the dosered versions often spray quite a bit of coffee around:

Here at Schectermatic Laboratories, our highly-paid team of dedicated researchers (me and my dog) have developed an advanced technology to alleviate this problem. It's called the Schectermatic Shnozzola (tm), or Shnozz for short. Our testing has shown that the Shnozzola, when used properly, reduces wasted coffee to under 50 nanograms per espresso session, which is pretty good, actually.

To take advantage of this exciting development, download the special Shnozzola PDF file here. Save the file to your hard drive if desired, then open it using Adobe Reader. Print it out onto a sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper. Cheap copier paper will work, but you'll get more durable results with heavier paper ("cover stock" or "card stock"). You can cut up a manila file folder and feed it through your printer if that's all you have.

It's CRUCIAL to make sure the printer driver doesn't "scale" the image. In other words, you want the Shnozzola to print at 100%, NOT shrunk or expanded. UNCHECK the scaling options in your printer dialog box before you hit "Print!"

What you'll end up with is a sheet of four little patterns. Each pattern can be cut out with a pair of scissors and rolled up and taped to make a little cone-shaped funnel.

I find it helpful to tape both the inside and outside of the Shnozz. Line up the little arrows on the pattern carefully.

(To be continued)
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

AndyS (original poster)

#2: Post by AndyS (original poster) »

The next step is to insert the Shnozz into the discharge port at the bottom of your doser so it ends up here:

Note that the discharge port is a little narrower at the bottom, so it takes some care to insert the Shnozz properly. This can usually be done by folding it in on itself somewhat, sticking it up in place, and then unfolding it carefully. As a last resort, you can remove the doser vanes from inside the doser and insert the Shnozz from the top. But try it from the bottom first. If you mess one up, you have three more to play with on the original printout.

You want to get it high up in the discharge port so that the doser vanes just barely scrape it as they go around. Too high and the Shnozz will get mashed. Too low and it will create cavities that may trap stale grounds.

One important detail: surprisingly, the Shnozz functions better when the Schectermatic logo faces directly outward. We're not sure why, but it appears that the universal energy field is better aligned that way. We are currently studying ancient feng shui texts to discover the exact explanation.

Well, the entire staff at Schectermatic (me and my dog) hopes your espresso making will be less messy now. If you like your new Shnozzola and think it will save a significant amount of mess and waste this year, consider going to the Coffee Kids Donation Page and contributing a few bucks. Put "Shnozzola" in the comments section. Thanks!

And appreciation to my old rocket scientist cyberfriend Gary Crowell for the original plotting software.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

If you want something a bit stiffer, go to your local dollar store and get a set of rollup cutting boards. They are just a few dollars (hence the name of the store) and tape the pattern to one of the rollup boards. Then cut the pattern out and use the thin plastic cutting board to create the Schectermatic Shnozzola. It is washable but would be best assembled with contact cement. To keep the universal energy field in alignment with the grinders kanickulator valve and avoid engaging the evil green ray of death (can be seen in the photo of the installed Shnozzola) you will have to hand stencil the company logo onto the device.

Further studies are under way by an independent research team (me and my dog) to see if the Shnozzola used in concert with the EvaluSpromatic is capable of reducing global warming and initiating world peace.
Dave Stephens

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Very nice, Andy.

The printed page should have a legal disclaimer something in the nature of:
"This page must be printed on a laser printer. If printed on an inkjet printer, small amounts of ink can be transferred to the coffee if the coffee possesses a high moisture content which can taint the flavor and/or cause death. Printing this page constitutes a binding contract and releases Andy Schecter from any and all liability. Do not backflush."
:wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

412Rich

#5: Post by 412Rich »

We went with a generic schnozzola based on the more limited detail from the original pf.net post, which has straight walls instead of a cone. And we didn't use music wire, but 20 gauge picture hanging wire, for the declumping since we had that and I'd already cut the excess from my E string.

Still, the difference is apparent and the waste is reduced. Grinds still don't fall like that soft fluffy Anfim snow does, but it's better than not modding for sure.

Thanks for the mod, Andy.

Now, we're going to play with our home Grinta :lol:
Crazy Mocha
Pittsburgh, PA

AndyS (original poster)

#6: Post by AndyS (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:The printed page should have a legal disclaimer something in the nature of:
"This page must be printed on a laser printer. If printed on an inkjet printer, small amounts of ink can be transferred to the coffee if the coffee possesses a high moisture content which can taint the flavor and/or cause death.
Hey Randy, I like that. Thanks for the great suggestion. The only thing I might change is in this sentence: "taint the flavor and/or cause slow, lingering, excruciatingly painful death."
-AndyS

maze400

#7: Post by maze400 »

I will try this when I get home. Just a thought, you team, what is your dogs name?
Coffee is the Juice of the Gods, Find Your Religion.

Advertisement
Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

AndyS wrote:Hey Randy, I like that. Thanks for the great suggestion. The only thing I might change is in this sentence: "taint the flavor and/or cause slow, lingering, excruciatingly painful death."
and add:
- Only use lead-free paper (contact the Schecter Paperworks for details and certification)
- Not responsible for paper cuts
- Paper fibers may build up in brain tissue causing aluminum deposits
- For external use only
- If blisters, cankers, or open sores appear, discontinue use and consult a physician
- While providing protection from STDs, this device is not designed nor intended to prevent pregnancy.
- Pastel shades of paper are to be avoided at all costs.
- Use of tape, glue, staples, paper clips, pop rivets, Dzus fasteners, or plasma welding voids all warranties expressed or implied.

I sure love this hobby... errrr.... lifestyle.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

AndyS (original poster)

#9: Post by AndyS (original poster) »

412Rich wrote: the difference is apparent and the waste is reduced. Grinds still don't fall like that soft fluffy Anfim snow does, but it's better than not modding for sure.
Hi Rich:
Glad it works for you, at least somewhat. With my Robur the grinds seem every bit as "fluffy" as from the Anfim. Wonder what's different about your setup.
-AndyS

AndyS (original poster)

#10: Post by AndyS (original poster) »

Dave:

Thanks for your support! I hadn't thought about the global warming angle, but obviously (!), the Shnozzola can solve that problem, too.

Oh yeah....about your grinder's kanickulator valve: is it left-handed, right-handed, or universal?
-AndyS