How to dial in the Baratza Preciso for multiple brew methods?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
parkerto

#1: Post by parkerto »

Ok, forgive me for starting this new topic if this softball has already been lobbed and smashed out of the park on this forum before, but I have searched and searched and can't find the answer I need.

So, I need a "how to" for my new Baratza Preciso grinder. I am elated with this grinder, it is the best I have ever had because it handles all the brew methods I use. Espresso, Chemex, Pour Over, Clever, Aeropress, Japanes Ice Coffee, Cold Brew--all of which I have fun doing on a regular basis. This is the first grinder for me that has handled every single one of them with class.

However, I am new to their system of Macro with Micro adjustments in a stepped grinder setting so I want to be able to develop a systematic way of dialing in the grinder. Baratza review by Mark Prince shares parameters like espresso at 10G, Drip at 22F, and press pot at 33G. However, perhaps I am over-thinking this, but I want to know better how to manipulate from there. I get the idea that the letters are one minor step that going from A to the last letter offered (maybe K?) is like taking one full step on the number adjuster. I just do not have a rhyme or reason on how to start though, I would love to hear from all the Preciso owners out there to learn two things:

1. How you tweak the grind for each brew method using both adjustment wheels? Coffee 101 on how to dial in specifically the Baratza Preciso grinder.

2. What starting point do you use for some of the brew methods I discuss above?

I understand that this will vary between the type of bean you are using so share who the roaster is and what you do with it when you get it. Lets have fun going through your routine with the Baratza grinder and the brew method you are using to brew the coffee you have.

Thanks for any insight in advance. Have fun:)

Netphilosopher

#2: Post by Netphilosopher »

You will need to start with a setting, and tweaks will be according to taste.

The specs on the Baratza Preciso are:
Range 200microns - 1400 microns
Settings are 40 discrete (1 - 40) major, 11 discrete (A-K) minor.

They imply that there are 440 settings from 200 microns to 1400 microns, so we should infer that the K setting on a lower number is approximately a minor step away from the A setting of the next major:

So, the finest setting would be:
1A - 200 microns
1B
1C
1J
2A
2B
39J
40A
40B
40J
40K - 1400 Microns.

If the adjustment is linear, then you would see a response that looks like the following chart attached.

In general, good starting points for average particle size for the different methods:

-French Press/Percolator 900-1300 microns
-Regular to coarse drip, also used in percolator, 925 microns
-Segment heated automatic drip (Proctor-Silex, Mr. Coffee), 825 microns
-Standard Drip Grind (generally heated reservoir constant delivery), 645 - 775 microns
-Auto Vend, single serve, K-cups (on the finer side), 400microns (375 - 500)
-Espresso, target around 360 microns, highly dependent on process and machine, range from 275-500microns
-Turkish, around 100-200 microns

Mark P's suggestions:
Espresso, 10G, approx 487microns
Drip, 22F, approx 845microns
Press Pot 33G, approx 1179microns

Prolly more info than you wanted to know. This is assuming a linear correlation with the settings and the average grind size, but in reality there is probably curvature, and potentially a knee in the response curve. Burr grinders have a spot that produces minimal variation, but then will be more sensitive to moving the average with axial burr gap changes.

At least it's a starting point. The actual settings depend on where your machine is zeroed (i.e. whether 1A is really 200 microns average), your personal preferences, and probably the phase of the moon ":lol:"

Hope that helps.

bostonbuzz

#3: Post by bostonbuzz »

You will have to dial in all things. Espresso will be using the fine micro settings, don't bother with them for the other methods - just macro. What will make a bigger difference than any micro settings for your coffees is you pour speed, water temp, or timing, depending on the method. I.e. the clever can be used at almost any setting, you just adjust your brew time. The Chemex can be adjusted by your pour speed/how much you pulse and how often - similar with pour-over (although I have no experience there). If you can dial in the extremes of your brewing (forgetting espresso for a minute), you can put the other methods in the same percentage position from the extremes that they were in on your old grinder. Then adjust other things to dial them in to perfection.
LMWDP #353

Netphilosopher

#4: Post by Netphilosopher »

Personally, I don't think that the small discrete settings are worth the trouble, but that's just MHO.

MerleApAmber

#5: Post by MerleApAmber »

Interesting you say this Steve, I've recently taken to the practice too. However, I do note that the 'just a wee bit different' sometimes does come into play. When I first bought the equipment, as a technically inclined sort, I perceived the benefits. But in daily practice it's 'not so much.'
Chris

BrianDedalus

#6: Post by BrianDedalus »

I've got the Preciso too, and I love it as well. The settings I've come to (in a very roundabout way) are: Aeropress-12A, Chemex (Whatever the macro notch is above the micro M)A, Espresso 8K.

Mark Prince did point out that he detects finer/coarser grounds depending on if you are stepping up or down on the grinder, but I haven't been able to discern any of that.

Hope this helps.

PS--Thanks, Steve, for all that data!

parkerto (original poster)

#7: Post by parkerto (original poster) »

First, thank you for all the great feedback by everyone...this is all very helpful. My only question for this post is simple, how do I test microns? I read the same Mark Prince post and know the charts, I guess since I do not have an instrument to test microns I just wanted to understand the grinder and how the setting work with starting points from there. You definitely answered that and I understand your answer which is so very helpful, but now that you broke out "microns" talk you peaked my curiosity:) Thanks for your information!

parkerto (original poster)

#8: Post by parkerto (original poster) »

Great explanation, I agree with all of it and simply ask what a "pulse pour" is? I have tried to research that since I have seen it on HB over the years, but never really got a good answer. I have a Bonavita goose neck kettle, so I always try to work the pour so that the stream is as thin as possible so it cuts through the bed of the grounds nicely and I guess I always thought of pulse pour in terms of what it is not. For example, Intelligentsia on their chemex video and pour over video gives advice to put all the water in at once. I think that is the opposite of pulse pour in that with a pulse pour you would pulse it or do quick pours so that the entire bed is not saturated.

Is this correct? As we all know there has always been a bit of a debate on whether to do one or the other as it related to stirring or not stirring (agitation) and the premise I have always learned with the pulse pour is that you should be able to control the brew time or contact time regardless of the amount of coffee to water volume you are choosing to brew, is that also correct?

I ask all of this because I agree, the key here is the technique to manipulate the contact time because a great grinder like the preciso is going to produce a great uniform grind regardless of the setting. That is not to say that I would want to grind turkish and throw it in a chemex; you still want to be in range, but you can have wiggle room with good technique right?

The other food for thought here though is this: if we want our processes to always be repeatable (and why wouldn't we...don't we want great coffee again...and again...and again) which is easier to repeat-great technique to manipulate the extraction time or great grinder setting to manipulate the same consistent extraction time? I get that you want to pay attention to both...maybe I am answering my own question and taking this forum south :roll: