How many espresso grinders do you own and use?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Spitz.me

#1: Post by Spitz.me »

I'm currently debating/mulling over keeping either the K30 or the K10PB. Whenever I think about keeping both it sounds completely ludicrous, but that doesn't stop me from smiling at the thought.

So, that got me to thinking about polling the user base here to see how far off centre I would be if I kept both grinders. Now, I'm not concerned with those who have a second grinder that they use specifically for travel.

Skimming some profiles I can see that there are people that have more than 1, but that could be dated information.

So I'm asking - Do you have two or more espresso grinders on your bench at all times? If you do, is there a very specific reason why? Or Is it just because you can?

If you only have one grinder, would you like to have two on the bench?

Should we make this a picture thread? :lol:
LMWDP #670

Feuros

#2: Post by Feuros »

Two for espresso I'd say is fairly rare. One for espresso and a second for drip/press/etc is pretty common.

Advertisement
elusiven

#3: Post by elusiven »

I currently have 2 dedicated espresso grinders, however I only use one of them (HG One) with any degree of frequency. I just sold my third one as it was impractical for home use and taking up a lot of space. If you are looking for rational justifications, you probably already know you are coming to the wrong place. For many of this us is this as much about collection as it is chasing god-shots.

I personally consider selling something if:

-I never use it, and/or want something better.
-Require the space or money for something else.
-I am not overly emotionally attached to it.
-It doesn't provide something novel from my other grinders.
LMWDP #497

lain2097

#4: Post by lain2097 »

Fifteen years and always one 8) I toyed with the idea over the years to have one dedicated to decaf but never actually did so. I don't do drip.

wrz0170

#5: Post by wrz0170 »

elusiven wrote:I currently have 2 dedicated espresso grinders, however I only use one of them (HG One) with any degree of frequency. I just sold my third one as it was impractical for home use and taking up a lot of space. If you are looking for rational justifications, you probably already know you are coming to the wrong place. For many of this us is this as much about collection as it is chasing god-shots.

I personally consider selling something if:

-I never use it, and/or want something better.
-Require the space or money for something else.
-I am not overly emotionally attached to it.
-It doesn't provide something novel from my other grinders.
We are very simliar. I now have 3, down from 4. HG One is used almost exclusively now. I use my Vario for French Press needs and I just took along my Kyocera hand grinder on vacation for Aeropress duty. I'm looking at maybe replacing the Kyocera with a Lido 2 for Aeropress and travel duty. Not sure yet.

The four points of selling are right on target.

pacificmanitou

#6: Post by pacificmanitou »

Once upon a time I had three: house espresso, decaf, lab, plus brewing grinder. These days I've re-invested most of those in other interests and have my Pharos for experimenting.
LMWDP #366

ajf

#7: Post by ajf »

Feuros wrote:Two for espresso I'd say is fairly rare. One for espresso and a second for drip/press/etc is pretty common.
I have one for espresso, one for drip, one for press, and one manual grinder for emergencies. If I ever brewed etc, I'd probably get one for etc. :)
I really screwed up on the manual grinder. I bought it in case I ever lost power, and set it up for espresso; but if I lost power, I have a 12V - 120V step up transformer which could handle all the other grinders, but certainly couldn't handle the espresso machine. :oops:

Alan

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

I used to keep 2 espresso grinders on the counter. Had 2 SJs, then 2 Majors & when I bought the K10 the plan was to keep one of the Majors. Tried it for a while but the Major set idle so I sold it. Same for the HG-One. Sounded like a good idea but in the end it was collecting dust. The K10 has spoiled me.
LMWDP 267

BTD1986

#9: Post by BTD1986 »

My first espresso grinder was a rancilio Rocky. When I bought it I loved it and thought I would never sell it. But eventually I outgrew it and bought a SJ, then a Robur. I ended up selling the Rocky and SJ for aesthetic reasons. A Rancilio Rocky sitting next to a Robur was like parking a Dodge Neon next to a Ferrari, it just didn't look right. If you enjoy both of them and money isn't a concern, I would say keep them, you could always sell one later. Both grinders hold their values pretty well.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by FotonDrv »

2 on the bench and one in the closet ready for road trips (a Lido 2).

An HG-One Modded with motor for espresso.
A Versalab for my decaf shots and for pourover.

The flexibility of the Versalab for quickly changing the grind from espresso to pourover is excellent!

That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train