How do you set the dose time on a Quamar M80 Electronic?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
nickso

#1: Post by nickso »

Hi guys. This is my very post around here, even if i've been checking the forum from time to time. I've just made an upgrade to an old version quamar m80 electronic grinder, the one with four buttons and four characters on the display, and i'm having a hard time figuring out how to program the doses (and to find a user manual for that matter)...so here's the story:

If you press both grinding buttons at the same time, when the grinder is powering up, it shows a single menu with two options: "1 on" and "1off" (or l, i can't tell).

when it's set to "on" the grinder doesn't respond if you press the + and - buttons. when it's set to "off", if you press the + button the display shows a value (i found it at "t140") that can reach the maximum value of 199.

if you press the - button, the display shows another value (found it at "t260") that can reach the maximum value of 299. using logic i thought that those two values stand for the times needed for a single and for a double dose. so far so good...but if i set the double dose to "299", maximum, the grinder only provides around 11,7g of coffee...and i cannot believe that this is the maximum setting for a double dose this grinder is capable of.

Can someone who knows how this grinder works tell me what's the problem? or at least tell me that this is it...and i have to use the manual function because the dosing is useless...

turtle

#2: Post by turtle »

I've not personally owned that model grinder but that won't stop me from giving you my opinion :D

Typically to set the time on anything you first use the + and - buttons to show the time you wish to save. Then press and hold the dose button you wish to store the number to.

To find out what time equates to a weight. Use a scale. Set your portafilter on the scale and tare (zero the scale with the weight of the empty portafilter on it). Grind for an arbitrary time and check that time against the actual weight of the grounds. Adjust the time until you achieve the weight for the dose you are after then store that time to the button you wish to use for that weight/time of grinds.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

turtle

#3: Post by turtle »

I could not locate a search function on the manufactures web site to get an owner's manual download

http://www.quamar.com/articolo.php?sez= ... 0E&lang=en

They do have directory browsing enabled so if you want to spend some time "guessing" what they may have called the folder that contains the operation manuals you may be able to download one for your grinder

Brochures: http://www.quamar.com/brochures/

Parts breakdown: http://www.quamar.com/ricambi/
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

1st-line
Sponsor

#4: Post by 1st-line »

Please click on the tech support link on this page to get an understanding.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

nickso (original poster)

#5: Post by nickso (original poster) »

@turtle - thanks for your opinion. i appreciate it.

@1st-line - thanks a lot. i saw the page but, seeing that the new model was on sale, i didn't think that you had support for the old model. the diagonal press of the buttons was the only combination i didn't try :)

Very hard to find info on this grinder....but i love what i have in the cup right now. much more creamy espresso, compared to the la spaziale mini grinder. I saw a funny thing on 1st-line.com about the quamar...it is made in treviso, italy, and i have it paired with a Sanremo Treviso espresso machine :)

1st-line
Sponsor

#6: Post by 1st-line »

Cool! I hope you can still write a product review on our web site!
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

nickso (original poster)

#7: Post by nickso (original poster) »

Sure. I owe it to you... I will write one as soon as i get used to it. right now it is modded to be used with a barrel...and that means a piece of plastic hard pressed (hopefuly not glued) into the upper burr carrier. that piece of plastic makes it retain a lot of coffee...and i mean a lot. so i have to fix that to be able to have a real opinion... Anyway ... the result in the cup is great..

Becubed

#8: Post by Becubed »

Jim: thank you SO MUCH for sharing that information. I just purchased the same grinder as nickso (lightly used) for a small office environment, and have been unable to find any programming instructions online. I had managed to figure out how to program *hundredths* of a second, but that wasn't enough for a single dose. Luckily I was in the right ballpark for a double, so that's what we've been using. For some reason, everyone's a bit more jittery than usual. :)

For anyone else reading this, here's a link to the instructions:

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Quamar ... t-e145.htm

Enjoying the grinder so far. It's paired with an ECM Mechankia IV Profi, which is also fantastic. The Quamar's usability can't be beat in this environment; everyone knows just to hit the appropriate button. It's proven to be fairly tidy too, directing the grounds almost entirely into the portafilter. A bit of static, but very minor. And no clumping.