Home made conical burr grinder on budget

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Esperame

#1: Post by Esperame »

Hello guys

I just did a quick search in the archives for information about a home made conical burr on budget and some question rise up.
After got my two group Gaggia Orione I found my self in a need of a good coffee thanks all the information I have been processing from this great site, in fact I was trying to explain to a cyclist buddy of mine my needs just to realize that I was looking for perfection yet, and I do not even started my Barista road.
Good stuff comes with a price and due some problems like difficulties importing stuff, currency exchange controls among others I am playing with the idea of make a conical burr coffee grinder by my self.
I have access to metal working facilities like lathes and plasma cutting and already find a set of conical burrs I guess a Faema replacement part of 66mm.
Looking for the best setup to grind espresso quality, what do you guys thinks are the most important things to be aware of I mean adjustability, rigidity, speed, etc.
I know that a good commercial grinder will have no competition but I must insist in the problems I have importing things to my country, thats why build it is always a choice
Thank in advance for your comments

Roberto
Seeking the way of a good coffee shot

peacecup

#2: Post by peacecup »

I've always been surprised someone has not made a high-tech copy of the simple mechanism found in the old German hand grinders. See the photos on the first page of this thread:

Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Terranova »

If you are looking for a DIY handgrinder inspiration, it is worth having a look at this one.

http://www.kaffee-netz.de/m-hlen/80216- ... m-hle.html

rpavlis

#4: Post by rpavlis »

I think that if you have access to machine shop equipment and can get metal stock you should be able to make a conical burr grinder without too much difficulty. What you need to do is have some sort of rigid frame and then mount the burrs in it. You also need some bearings. Bronze ones would be fine. I prefer hand power because with good burrs it is possible to grind espresso at a good rate that way, and the coffee does not get heated as much by friction. You might look at designs others have used and then think about the best way to assemble the final device. A Pharos-like frame should be easy to fabricate.

redpig

#5: Post by redpig »

Since I was recently playing around with this and have neither machining or other skills :) I had parts made from CAD by bigbluesaw.com (waterjet cutting so be prepared to ream out holes if they need to be precise). Then if you need a locking nut, custom rod, custom bearings, etc then misumi-ec.com seems quite reasonably priced.

Best of luck!
LMWDP #411

DanoM

#6: Post by DanoM »

I was going to post the link to the German forum grinder, but TerraNova beat me to it! LOL He's the one that gave the link to me!

Actually, I'm considering making a hand crank conical grinder. I've sourced some used 68mm conical burrs from one of our members in Germany that knows his grinders :wink: - just something to test with. Before Terranova showed me the links to that German forum I was already considering a wooden framed grinder. Have a few ideas worked out on paper while I'm waiting for my burrs to arrive.

If my project ever turns into something useful I'll post some details in the forums here.
LMWDP #445

Esperame (original poster)

#7: Post by Esperame (original poster) »

Wow
Thank you guys for the responses and links you encourage me to keep on my project. Since nobody mention that I am crazy or out of my mind I must assume it is possible to make a espresso grinder at home.
I was thinking in use a electric motor and some kind of gear to improve the torque and decrease the speed in order to keep the beans cool in the process.
I will keep posting the results of my quest

Thanks
Seeking the way of a good coffee shot

zix

#8: Post by zix »

Another source of inspiration here: http://www.velopresso.cc
There's another way of designing the grinder - maybe the pedal drive isn't for you :wink: but there are many other inspiring things. Single dose feeding for instance...
There is a video where you see the grinder in action if you navigate to "about" and "video".
LMWDP #047