HG One wobble ?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bmb

#1: Post by bmb »

Today I realized that the shaft has a back and forth turning movement, of a few millimeters, while I hold the handle.
I know it wasn't there before, as I played with the grinder looking for tolerance issues and everything was tight.
I cannot feel any other movement, only this one, that seems to be in the transmission gears.
Is this normal break in (3 months, about 4kg) or should I do something about it ? Taste is Ok.

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

if the gears still work and dont grind then I think its in alignment, so it probably wont hurt anything. Id check to see if there are bearings on the axle, it may have come unscrewed if there are.
LMWDP #366

Seacoffee

#3: Post by Seacoffee »

It is just the normal backlash. I have it on mine.

bmb (original poster)

#4: Post by bmb (original poster) »

It's in alignment, and yes, it feels like backlash, just hope that it doesn't get worse.
As I don't know how the gears are fixed in the HG One, my concern is with a spline or keyway issue that could eventually break.

Possepat

#5: Post by Possepat »

Gears need a bit of clearance to function without locking up. That clearance manifests itself in the form of backlash. I've been around gearing my whole career, aligning, shimming, filing damaged gears by hand etc. I've got a first run HG-one and after all this time everything still feels normal. Keep an eye on it, just to make sure it doesn't get worse.
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

bmb wrote:It's in alignment, and yes, it feels like backlash, just hope that it doesn't get worse.
As I don't know how the gears are fixed in the HG One, my concern is with a spline or keyway issue that could eventually break.
The gear position on the shaft can be changed if you find there is too much movement. Just open up the gearbox & you'll see what I mean.
LMWDP 267

weebit_nutty

#7: Post by weebit_nutty »

It's crucial that the inner burr (shaft) remain perfectly centered in relation to the outer burr for consistent grinds during operation. Otherwise what's the point.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by Terranova »

weebit_nutty wrote:It's crucial that the inner burr (shaft) remain perfectly centered in relation to the outer burr for consistent grinds during operation.
Yes, thats right.
weebit_nutty wrote:Otherwise what's the point
John was referring to the actual question of "bmb".
The gear backlash has no influence to the shaft and how centered the shaft is running.
It is just "cosmetical".

Seacoffee

#9: Post by Seacoffee »

Frank is of course right and my post had a slight error. Instead of saying "I have it on mine" I should have said everyone has it because it is perfectly normal and impossible to use bevel gears without some backlash.