HG one portafilter cradle - useful?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pumpkinscastle

#1: Post by pumpkinscastle »

Has anyone bought the HG one portafilter cradle with their grinder? Can you share your experience if you have this tool?

I personally love the blind tumbler. I do WDT in it before I release into the portafilter and get great even results. I love the way iin which the tumbler releases the grinds into the basket.

Now, I mainly use my naked E61 sized PF. Does the cradle serve as a nice tamp stand for that? I would love to have the PF in a secure position so I can focus on tumbler/WDT/PF filling with both hands.

Secondly, can you grind directly into your PF with the cradle? It seems to me that it would be messy unless you use something like an OE flat funnel.

If you have done both, blind tumbler grinding/transfer and direct PF grinding with the cradle, which do you prefer and why?

The cradle hasn't gotten much attention. It's not cheap but it seems carefully crafted with focus on detail (no surprise). Curious to learn more...

chopinhauer

#2: Post by chopinhauer »

I second this question. I don't (yet) own a Roy and HG (Aussie joke) but would love know if people out there think the PF cradle is worth it. Surprised this question hasn't come up and been resolved already.
LMWDP #027

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by FotonDrv »

I personally prefer either the Blind Tumbler over the idea of grinding directly into the PF; less mess on the grinder.

Keeping the grinder free of grounds is tough enough but when you add water from a PF grinding for the second shot it just does not seem right. The PF Stand is very well made and if they put a large magnet into the bottom of it to hold it firmly in place while grinding that would help it.

I grind directly into the basket.

It does not wiggle around.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

wrz0170

#4: Post by wrz0170 »

pumpkinscastle wrote:Has anyone bought the HG one portafilter cradle with their grinder? Can you share your experience if you have this tool?

I personally love the blind tumbler. I do WDT in it before I release into the portafilter and get great even results. I love the way iin which the tumbler releases the grinds into the basket.

Now, I mainly use my naked E61 sized PF. Does the cradle serve as a nice tamp stand for that? I would love to have the PF in a secure position so I can focus on tumbler/WDT/PF filling with both hands.

Secondly, can you grind directly into your PF with the cradle? It seems to me that it would be messy unless you use something like an OE flat funnel.

If you have done both, blind tumbler grinding/transfer and direct PF grinding with the cradle, which do you prefer and why?

The cradle hasn't gotten much attention. It's not cheap but it seems carefully crafted with focus on detail (no surprise). Curious to learn more...
I bought one with my HG One, the E61 model. It was a "why not" purchase. You are spot on that it is not cheap but it's NOT cheaply made. Like the HG One, attention to detail is definitely there for the following reason(s).

There are three basic parts, the main body, the sleeve (where the PF tabs would rest on) and the adjustable red button. The adjustable red button obviously goes up or down and then there is a set screw so you can lock it in place. It basically helps you level out your PF.

Here is where I ran into a small issue. I have a Rocket Giotto Evoluzione with double PF and bottomless. Unfortunately due to the diameter of the handles, the basket sits a bit lower than the handle with the button screwed all the way down. So it's not level and I have to compensate.

I contacted HG One about the issue. They also offer other holders with different sized sleeves and they are interchangeable, hence the attention to detail. I am working on getting a taller sleeve sent to me. This should raise the basket and then I can fine tune the button to level it out. Amazing customer service.

In use, it is rock solid. Doesn't move when you tamp. My developing work flow is:
Grind into blind tumbler
Tap blind tumbler on rubber mat to settle the grinds a bit.
Stir with the glass rod.
Tap blind tumber to settle grinds.
Place on PF and open up the tumbler and lift.
Level with finger by gently tapping down the fluffy grinds.
Tamp
Pull shot.

I have not tried grinding directly into PF with PF holder. Not sure if it would fit underneath.

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

I've never seen any use for one, but that's probably because I dose my baskets outside of the portafilter, and then put them in before pulling a shot. This is especially useful on a spring lever machine, because it lets me have a new basket dosed and ready to go by the time the pressure has dissipated enough to avoid a portafilter sneeze.
LMWDP #435

rpavlis

#6: Post by rpavlis »

I agree that a portafilter cradle would make no sense for my lever machines. I normally use them to make one or two shots. The portafilter has substantial heat capacity, and it can aid in heat control. With the La Pavoni 1974-2000 group machines I often use a thermometer well equipped portafilter for the first shot to determine when the machine has reached the correct temperature. If one leave the unloaded portafilter on the machine during the entire warmup period this provides excellent information as to when it is time to pull the first shot. (With these machines one can also allow about three minutes to elapse after the group is bled of air after the boiler is up to full pressure.) While it is warming up I grind and tamp the coffee directly into the basket.

As mentioned in the previous post, when making the second shot preparing and tamping the shot can be done before removing the portafilter to avoid "portafilter sneeze".

Successful espresso making requires having a "ritual" that is followed carefully. Modification of the ritual must be done changing just one thing at a time. Whether the shot is prepared with the basket in the portafilter or not certainly is an important detail in the ritual.

dsc

#7: Post by dsc »

I'm yet to meet anyone with a HG1 who grinds directly into a basket / PF, tamps and pulls a shot successfully (no mixing / faffing around). I think the cradle was an idea which simple didn't work in the end, but feel free to correct me on this one.

T.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mgrayson »

A word of warning: not all cradles are the same height. The LM cradle is taller, perhaps because the handle slopes down away from the basket. In any event, the cradle/portafilter will NOT fit under the funnel. :(

As a PF holder for tamping, it is excellent, and will replace my current setup. Grinding into the blind tumbler and WDTing into the basket, however, will stay. (I'm always amazed at how fluffy the grounds are - they never look like they'll fit in the basket, but a little stirring and they settle right in!)

--Matt

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by FotonDrv »

Nope, they are not all created equally. The HG-One stands are super well made but with the bent handle PF they might not fit.

That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

wrz0170

#10: Post by wrz0170 »

mgrayson wrote:A word of warning: not all cradles are the same height. The LM cradle is taller, perhaps because the handle slopes down away from the basket. In any event, the cradle/portafilter will NOT fit under the funnel. :(

As a PF holder for tamping, it is excellent, and will replace my current setup. Grinding into the blind tumbler and WDTing into the basket, however, will stay. (I'm always amazed at how fluffy the grounds are - they never look like they'll fit in the basket, but a little stirring and they settle right in!)

--Matt
I actually needed a taller cradle for my Rocket PFs. Had to order a taller sleeve that are interchangeable.

I am amazed too at how fluffy the grinds are. After I grind into the blind tumbler (18g), the grinds completly cover the removable insert. I lightly tap the tumbler so I can get to the insert. Light stir, pull the insert and the grinds still fit proud.