HG-One left handed use?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Trimethylpurine

#1: Post by Trimethylpurine »

Been looking at pictures of the HG-One and it seems very right handed to me.

I was wondering if the handle for the left hand can be mounted on the other side of the vertical board so it can be spun around and the grinding action done with the left hand?

Would doing this make it harder to use in any other way?

T
LMWDP #520 Trimethylpurine

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

You can't mount the handle on the other side. Better to start and learn how to use it right handed as I did as a genuine lefty.

thm655321

#3: Post by thm655321 »

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago, with the titanium burrs. I am right handed, but if it were reversed and I had to use my left hand to grind I don't think it would be much of an issue as it really is not difficult to grind. Grinding rice through it perhaps would be difficult, but only with lighter roasted beans is it more difficult and even with those it should not be a problem.

Love my HG One so far...

lapavoni1999

#4: Post by lapavoni1999 »

I can't find the link but it was discussed early on with a developer of the HG One that the handle can't be flipped because of the gearbox and the cutting direction of the burrs.

I had a shoulder dislocation on my right side and I am LEFT handed and I was worried about the effort it would take so I opted with the Tin coated burrs. I have NO trouble grinding with my right arm and the machine is very new with about 1 pound of beans ground.

Prescott CR

#5: Post by Prescott CR »

If you spin the grinder around the handle to hold the grinder down winds up being on the wrong side, but you can still grind by turning the flywheel in the proper direction. Which might feel weird. If you could move the stationary handle to the other side it would be easier.

As others have pointed out, the effort & coordination required isn't super-human.
-Richard

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv »

erik82 wrote:You can't mount the handle on the other side. Better to start and learn how to use it right handed as I did as a genuine lefty.
You would loose the use of one of the handles if you turn it around and would be forced to grab the top of the gearbox while you are grinding.

I too am left handed and have learned to do many things right handed, like golf, baseball, pistol and rifle shooting, etc. all right handed. I spent a long time in a hospital bed so I got bored and starting writing right handed as an exercise; pretty ugly but legible. So learning the HG-One with your off hand is a slam dunk!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Trimethylpurine (original poster)

#7: Post by Trimethylpurine (original poster) »

I should have probably made it clear that I dont have a problem using my right hand, it works fairly well.

It is that I would prefer to have the grinder on the left side of my espresso machine and the dosing side of the grinder on the right side, more for work flow than hand use preference.

I would not mind rotating the fly wheel in the opposite direction.

So I guess my questions are:

1) is is possible to mount the grip handle on the other side of the vertical post

2) would there be any problem using the grind setting readings from the other side? Photos I have seen dont ever seem to show the scale on the other side.

3) any other problems you might think of?

T
LMWDP #520 Trimethylpurine

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by FotonDrv »

#2. The marks are just relative points, just read them wherever you wish.

The workflow, yes, I had forgotten about that since I put the motor in it. Now I work from a 270 degrees available to me, not just the 90 degrees available with the OEM setup.

#1. Reversing the handle means drilling holes at minimum. To do it the way the factory did it would be to have a milling machine make a slot in the tower to accept the handle properly.

Take it to a machinist and ask what the cost would be to move that handle would be and then coming up with that amount 0f $$$ is the only other problem I can see.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train