HG One grinding, dosing and cleaning routine - what's your method? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mel5582

#11: Post by mel5582 »

Yup, you can remove the flywheel lever for shorter traveling distance for faster revolutions.
You can check out how, here

http://hg-one.com/the-hg-one-grinder/ca ... dle-lever/

RioCruz

#12: Post by RioCruz »

Ohhhh...I see! Thanks for clearing that up!
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

bmb

#13: Post by bmb »

I use the PF without the filter spring, therefore I put the filter OVER HG's funnel and an OE small funnel on top, then I grind directly into the filter.
That's my PF holder, didn't cost me anything and wouldn't change it for the other ...
Just tamp lightly and extract.

zix (original poster)

#14: Post by zix (original poster) »

Yes, this seems to be a popular method nowadays, I saw one of the HG One guys did that too. The one with the Olympia and a naked pf... Yay, found the video. It was Paul grinding.
I quite like that too. But how about knocking the puck out? Doesn't that get inconvenient without the spring?
LMWDP #047

bmb

#15: Post by bmb »

No, and it's also easier to wash the PF.
Another plus is that, when needed, one can prepare several filters and extract one after the other.
The spring is important for a busy commercial environment.

achipman

#16: Post by achipman »

Espresso:
1. Grind into blind tumbler
2. Drop funnel onto blind tumbler and tap to clear clinging grinds
3. Stir w/ glass stir rod
4. Drop grinds into basket
5. Level
6. Tamp
7. Lock and pull
8. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Drip/Pour Over
1..... essentially the same.. but with added loading and reloading of the beans between grinding... Gotta get up to 65g!
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

zix (original poster)

#17: Post by zix (original poster) »

achipman wrote:Espresso:
1. Grind into blind tumbler
2. Drop funnel onto blind tumbler and tap to clear clinging grinds
3. Stir w/ glass stir rod
4. Drop grinds into basket
5. Level
6. Tamp
7. Lock and pull
8. Enjoy!
Yes :)
We're getting there, little by little. This is how I would like my routine to look too. My colleague pointed out today that the grinding actually is getting slightly less messy day by day, indicating that seasoning has an influence on the amount of static, making the HG One less static. Or maybe we're getting better at it...
Still no atomiser, so this is all without RDT.

Took away that flywheel handle lever yesterday, I think I like it that way.

'Been drinking a funky roast today, a rather unevenly roasted Indonesian. It was great! Very low acidity despite half of the beans being barely past first crack, just more earthy and... well, fun. Lovely mouthfeel with more than a hint of chocolate. More work for the grinder(-s), but honestly, nothing close to what I would call hard work. The Lido 2 at home brought out much of the same taste, but not quite all that the HG One managed.
LMWDP #047

achipman

#18: Post by achipman »

What do you like/dislike about having the flywheel lever off? I still have mine attached, but I'm curious.
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

zix (original poster)

#19: Post by zix (original poster) »

Like: The smaller circumference. Less flailing around with the grinder arm.
Dislike: nothing, so far. With a very brightly roasted coffee, you feel you are actually doing some work. For someone else that may mean it's too much resistance, but me and my colleague are big guys both of us. If we feel it gets too hard, we can just put the lever back again.
LMWDP #047

RioCruz

#20: Post by RioCruz »

[creative nickname] wrote: 5. Swirl a cocktail whisk a few times through the grinds in the tumbler.
Will someone please explain to me why this step is necessary? Since the grounds come down randomly in a mixture of "boulders and fines," (relatively speaking) I see no need to stir them or redistribute them beyond tapping the basket on a surface to settle and flatten out the mound. What's the stirring all about? I like playing with the coffee as much as anyone, but this step seems totally unnecessary to me. Anyone?
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle