HG One - Comparison of 71mm vs. 83mm Burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
C6H8O3

#1: Post by C6H8O3 »

I read through the mammoth thread on the HG One owner experience and didn't see many opinions regarding any differences in flavor between the 71mm vs. the 83mm. I'm leaning towards the 71mm, for no other reason than the burr carrier looks a little beefier and because of the slight ease of turning compared to the 83mm.

I know a couple of you all have both burr sets and you probably have compared flavors between the Robur and Major. Have you all perceived any differences?
LMWDP 702

C6H8O3 (original poster)

#2: Post by C6H8O3 (original poster) »

Just a quick addition as my question might not seem so clear. I'm asking about the difference in the flavors of the espresso when using 71 vs. 83.
LMWDP 702

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Subjectively and simply put, none that I could tell after about 2 months worth of testing. I mentioned it in the Home Test thread.

To be honest, if there were anything out there other than someone's narrow, subjective opinion like mine, it would require quite a commitment in time and effort to do it completely blind and evaluate the two. I'm talking something on the order of the Titan Grinder project. Anything short of that would be too error prone and just based on bias.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by FotonDrv »

I could not taste a difference between the two.

There was some discussion in one of the many Threads on Burrs that the 83mm produced less "Fines". Without a microscope to verify, and two grinders side by side, both producing the same shot time through the same espresso machine then how could you tell???
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

C6H8O3 (original poster)

#5: Post by C6H8O3 (original poster) »

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. I believe that I'll probably go for the 71mm. It is just hard waiting till May. Alas, I will wait though... this grinder is close to perfect for my needs.
LMWDP 702

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

As I've mentioned before I felt that the 71mm burrs brought out a bit more of the fruit/acidic flavors as compared to the 83mm set. Nothing like the difference between the 83mm flat burrs of a Major & the 71mm conicals of a K10 but I thought I did notice a difference.

The 71mm burrs will grind the same size dose faster then the 83mm set & I felt they required a bit less effort when cranking.
LMWDP 267

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by FotonDrv »

John:

After using the grinder for many months I have settled on the 71mm burrs for the simple reason of grinding effort.

I have tried and tried to tell the difference in taste and cannot do it so the 71mm burrs won. I have been using them for a month straight without complaint from my wife about taste differences. BTW, I prefer the fruity flavors too.

Stephen

Advertisement
swimjay

#8: Post by swimjay »

Now it would be great to hear from anyone who's compared the new gold burrs (titanium nitride coated, or something like that) vs the original burrs. I wonder if the TN was needed because the most recent order of burrs hadn't been hardened properly?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by FotonDrv replying to swimjay »

I would love to try a set of the new TiN burrs but that is going to have to wait for many more $$$$ are free.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by FotonDrv »

swimjay wrote:Now it would be great to hear from anyone who's compared the new gold burrs (titanium nitride coated, or something like that) vs the original burrs. I wonder if the TN was needed because the most recent order of burrs hadn't been hardened properly?
I tried a set of "Aftermarket" TiN 83mm burrs. They are much easier to crank. Almost as easy or perhaps easier than the 71mm standard burrs. However, it did seem to take a lot of cranking to get the beans ground. Not sure why.